10 Reasons You're Healthier Than You Think
Pages in this Story:
- 1. You hang out with friends two or three times a week.
- 2. You drink three cups of coffee a day.
- 3. You rented Wedding Crashers -- again -- this past weekend.
- 4. You never sleep for eight hours.
- 5. You take your lunch hour.
- 6. You brush twice a day.
- 7. You wear a sports bra when you work out.
- 8. You read the newspaper this morning.
- 9. You had sex last night.
- 10. You eat cereal for breakfast.
7. You wear a sports bra when you work out.
Good move! Research at the University of Portsmouth in England shows that when a woman runs without a bra, her breasts bounce up and down 3.5 inches for each step she takes. "After a mile, that's about the equivalent of your breasts bouncing 472 feet, which puts huge amounts of stress on the outer skin and connective tissue," says study author Joanna Scurr, PhD. Wearing a sports bra reduced bounce by 74 percent. Just be sure to choose the right fit. "I recommend that you try on at least three sizes and jump up and down in them," says Julia Alleyne, MD, medical director of Sport Care Women's College Hospital in Toronto. Replace sports bras every six to nine months when they lose elasticity and support.
Top That: You can revitalize sag-prone breasts with chest exercises, which help sculpt muscles and make your bust appear higher and firmer, says LaJean Lawson, PhD, an adjunct professor in exercise and sports science at Oregon State University. Bench presses and push-ups are good options; do at least three sets of 8 to 12 three times a week.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.