Follow us on Pinterest
Welcome! Log In | Register |
Log In with

Can You Be Fat But Fit?

  • Comment Comments (17)
  • Print Print

How Fat and Weight Affect Your Health

The Skinny on Fat

None of this is to say that we can pack on pounds without worry. Carrying a lot of weight around increases stress on joints and can make us less inclined to be active. There's also the plain reality that the more overweight you are, the more likely it is that your metabolic health will take a hit, now or in the future. "Given the choice, I come down almost always on the side that being overweight is a bad thing," says Walter R. Thompson, PhD, a professor of exercise science at Georgia State University in Atlanta.

But choice is a loaded word for many obesity experts, as well as for countless individuals who have waged a lifelong war with their weight. "I spent the first part of my life struggling with being fat. I would lose weight on diets, gain it back, and each time end up feeling horrible about myself," says Hanne Blank, the author of The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts. "Only as I've come into my own as an adult have I made peace with the fact that I may always be big." It's a brutal realization that seems to bear itself out in the big picture: As many as two-thirds of us end up regaining more weight than we lose while dieting.

Pinning ambitious weight-loss hopes on exercise hasn't panned out too well, either. At five feet four inches and 172 pounds, Sherry Norris, 42, of Norcross, Georgia, knows this firsthand. A dedicated exerciser, Sherry alternates running and working out to the Insanity DVD program on most days and ran her first marathon last year. "I've followed all the directions and done the training plans, and I've lost exactly five pounds. At this point I have no idea how to get the weight off," she says.

Within the past few years numerous studies have borne out exactly what Sherry is experiencing: Despite the extra calories we burn, many of us fail to lose weight -- and may even gain some -- after embarking on an exercise program. This could be because our appetite is triggered by vigorous activity; we reward ourselves for our efforts with food, or we spend more time vegging out on the couch when we're not at the gym.

Then there's the tricky topic of metabolism. "Exercise doesn't rev up the metabolism, as we've been led to believe," says Diana Thomas, PhD, an author of a study from the Center for Quantitative Obesity Research at Montclair State University in New Jersey. "We found that when volunteers who were put on an exercise regimen began to lose weight, their metabolic rate -- how many calories they would burn while sitting and doing nothing -- actually began to drop." Thomas and her colleagues suspect that metabolic slowing may be the body's protective attempt to preserve energy when it senses that more calories are being burned through exercise. Plus a fit body operates more efficiently -- the heart doesn't have to pump as fast, breathing is less rapid -- and that also reduces how many calories we burn all day.

Making long-term weight loss even more elusive is the fact that we each may have our own personal set point, a range of about 10 to 20 pounds in which the body biologically tries to stay despite our efforts. This means that weight loss is biologically resisted in some people. Also, our appetite makes it too easy to override the upper threshold of our set-point range, so we gain weight, says Linda Bacon, PhD, the author of Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight.

The net result of these many hurdles: Even if people do lose some weight from exercise, they often don't lose as much as they expect to. For many, that's reason enough to abandon boot camp and head back to the couch.

Eyeing a Different Prize

That, Thomas says, is a crying shame. Because even if pounds don't disappear, a big fat change is probably taking shape. "Adding regular physical activity can reduce the proportion of fat to muscle and affect where fat is distributed," Thomas says. In particular, as little as a 20-minute daily walk can reduce the amount of visceral fat that reaches deep into the abdomen. That's the fat that health experts worry about, because it is linked to heart disease, diabetes, and a higher mortality rate. There's even evidence suggesting that exercise stimulates the production of a substance called irisin in muscle tissue. This hormone appears to transform white fat cells, like those in belly fat, into brown fat cells, which are metabolically active and actually burn calories.

"The scale doesn't necessarily reflect all of this," Thomas says. Neither does the body mass index (BMI), which uses only height and weight to estimate how much body fat we ostensibly have. This is why a growing number of doctors are now measuring patients' waist circumference as part of their standard physical exams. And it's why Thomas and colleagues at Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, have devised an index that takes body shape into account when assessing a person's health. The body roundness calculator (pbrc.edu/bodyroundness) uses hip and waist measurements in addition to weight and height. The closer to a circle shape a person is, the more visceral body fat she has. "We're catching people who are out of the 'safe shape' zone but who are not visibly apple shaped. There are also people whose BMI may indicate obesity but whose body roundness is healthy. It's a much better reflection of a person's health overall," Thomas says.

What do you think of this story?  Leave a Comment.

What do you think? Review this story!
7532019839
lark1964 wrote:

I have weighed between 240-245 (5'8") for years, I go up, I go down, but I always return to the range. I work out with a trainer regularly, I can run 2 miles, I eat healthy - and it doesn't come off or stay off! So, here I am, my boyfriend thinks I'm sexy, my 25-year-old daughter says I look great, my trainer uses me as an example of curvy power on his wall in his studio, and my doctor says I'm strong and healthy. What more could I ask for, really?

1/10/2014 09:27:46 AM Report Abuse
sunflowersince1999 wrote:

I'm glad. I've got a friend who calls herself fat. she exercises regularly but she isn't that small according to her. but checking her BMI and reading this I can tell her she is healthy. I'll give her this site. Thank you!!

12/29/2013 03:41:55 AM Report Abuse
hmhughes171 wrote:

Perhaps we now have to redefine what "overweight", "obese", and "fat" really mean. If women are healthy, fit, constantly exercise, and even have a doctor tell them they are healthy, the they are NOT overweight, obese, or fat no matter what the scale or society says!

8/20/2013 03:15:17 PM Report Abuse
benchpress150 wrote:

I feel guilty for having wrongly judged my "overweight" friends, even though I suspected, based on swimmers at my local YMCA, that many of them could kick my butt! I know they do in the pool!

8/12/2013 12:20:15 PM Report Abuse
sdudley18 wrote:

Is that picture supposed to represent a fat but fit girl? Maybe it's our image of 'fat' that needs to change, because as far as I'm concerned it looks like the girl in that photo has a defined waist and strong legs. Sure she has some curves, but since when are curves necessarily fat? I disagree with, and am sometimes offended by some of the photographic representations in this magazine.

7/15/2013 11:15:14 AM Report Abuse

Add your comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Register | Log In

Please confirm your comment by answering the question below and clicking "Submit Comment."

Todays Daily Prize
More Smart Savings
Fitness Magazine on Facebook