Germs at the Gym
How to Be Germ-FreeSqueaky-Clean Strategies
Follow this quick checklist to stay healthy while you work out.
- Cover any cuts or broken skin with a bandage before you go to the gym.
- Wash your hands before and after your workout.
- Wipe down machines before and after use.
- Bring your own water bottle, towels, and exercise mat.
- Never share your towels.
- Don't sit on the locker-room bench naked.
- Always wear flip-flops in the locker room and shower.
- Don't shave at the gym or immediately before going there.
- Whenever possible, shower at home after your workout.
- Keep dirty clothes and sneakers in separate gym bag compartments or place sweaty duds in a plastic bag.
- Wipe down your gym bag with a disinfectant spray and wash gym clothes after each use.
- Examine your skin weekly. If you find a painful red spot or a bump, see a doc. It could be a MRSA infection, which needs immediate treatment.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, October 2012.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)