Get gourmet cooking, healthy recipes at home on your own budget! Try these healthy recipes from your favorite celebrity chefs so you can eat delicious, healthy meals from your own kitchen.
Tom Colicchio's Easy Roasted Chicken
"I like to brown the chicken before I roast it. Browning helps to get the cooking started and moves the juices toward the center of the bird."
Makes 4 servings.
FRESH: Chicken, rosemary, thyme
STAPLES: Coarse sea salt, ground black pepper, peanut oil, unsalted butter
1 2- to 3-1/2-pound free-range chicken
Coarse sea salt
Ground black pepper
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Rinse the chicken and dry with paper towels. Cut off the last joint of the wing; discard.
- Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper; place rosemary and thyme inside the cavity. Tie cavity closed with a piece of twine.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Place chicken on its side in the skillet and brown, about 7 minutes.
- Turn and brown the other side, about 7 minutes.
- Place chicken breast side up and transfer skillet to oven. Roast for 20 minutes; baste with melted butter. Continue roasting, basting occasionally, until thigh juices run clear, about 30 minutes more.
- Remove chicken from oven and cover loosely with foil. Allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- Sprinkle with sea salt before serving.
Nutrition facts per serving: 403 calories, 37g protein, 0g carbohydrate, 27g fat (9g saturated), 0g fiber.
Recipe adapted from Think Like a Chef by Tom Colicchio. Clarkson/Potter Publishers, 2007.
Buy the book on Amazon.com: Think Life a Chef
© Copyright 2013 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.