- Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
The Ultimate Ab Workout Plan: Week 4 Exercise Instructions
Here, instructions for all of the exercises in week 4 of the 6-Week Ultimate Ab Workout Plan. Print and go!
- Sit on the floor and extend your legs, pressing them firmly together. Lean back 45 degrees from the hips. Keep your abs engaged as you bring both of your arms overhead like a ballerina.
- Slowly twist your torso to the right, placing your right arm on the floor with your left arm reaching overhead for a slow count of 3.
- Repeat the movement to the left, and place your left arm on the floor, keeping your butt and both heels on the floor. Contract your abs to support your spine.
- As you return to center, bring both of your arms overhead. Continue alternating sides. You'll do two sets of 6 to 8 reps on each side.
- Sit tall on the floor with your knee bent and your arms at chest level with your palms facing down. Lean back slightly, engaging your abs, and lift both knees toward your chest while reaching forward with your arms.
- Hold this position with your feet off the floor for 10 to 20 seconds as you contract your abs. Lower your feet to the floor for 1 or 2 counts and repeat the exercise.
- Do 4 or 5 more reps over the course of a minute.
Hair Wash Torso Twists
- Lie down on your back. Interlace your hands behind your head. Pull your left knee in and flex your foot.
- Twist your body so your right elbow goes toward your bent knee. Now twist right as you extend your left knee and bring your right knee in. Keep twisting back and forth for 20.
- With each twist, exhale deeply from your abs, like you are wringing out a sponge. Take a short break. Do a second set doing 20 reps.
- Get on all fours with the step behind you, keeping your arms straight with your hands directly underneath your shoulders. Press your toes into the step.
- Tuck your left knee in toward your chest then extend it behind you. Do 10 reps of this tuck-and-extend motion before switching legs.
- Squeeze your glutes as you extend your leg behind you. After you've done 10 reps, switch sides so your left leg is on the step and your right leg is tucking and extending.
Originally published on FitnessMagazine.com, June 2008.
© Copyright 2013 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.