These bikini waxing tricks that can save your skin down there.
- Numb the area. Apply an over-the-counter topical numbing cream like GiGi Antiseptic Numbing Spray ($8.95, drugstores) up to an hour before waxing to dull pain, says Joyce Carboni, founder and spa director at Skinsational Spa in Carlsbad, California.
- Pop a pain reliever. Approximately 30 minutes prior to waxing, take a painkiller such as ibuprofen or aspirin to lessen sensitivity, especially right before your period, suggests Carboni.
- Absorb wetness. Cover the area with a talc, like Shower to Shower Sport Absorbent Body Powder ($2.99 for 8 ounces, drugstores), right before applying wax; this will remove perspiration, so wax adheres to hair, not skin.
- Skip the gym. Avoid any intense cardio for 24 hours post-wax -- it can lead to irritated bumps from swat trapped against the skin under tight-fitting clothes, says Carboni.
- Seek shade. Because waxing removes several layers of skin, the area will be extra sensitive to rays.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, June 2007.
© Copyright Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.