- Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Get a Firm, Tight Butt in 3 Moves
Whether you're at the beginner, intermediate, or advanced level, Chris Santos, personal trainer at The Gym in New York City, has three moves to help you get a toned tush.
- Stand with feet wider than hip-width apart, holding a 5-pound dumbbell in each hand at inner thighs.
- Bend both knees 90 degrees, coming into a squat, lowering weights toward the floor.
- Do not let your knees go past your toes.
- Stand and repeat.
- Complete 4 sets of 15 reps.
- Lie on the floor and place your feet hip-width apart on a couch or bench, knees bent between 70 and 90 degrees.
- Press into heels and drive hips toward the ceiling.
- Drop your hips and repeat. Work up to 3 sets of 15 reps.
- Standing with your right side facing a step bench, hold a 5-pound weight in each hand in front of your thighs.
- Step up onto the bench sideways with your right foot and squeeze your glutes for a count of 3, then step down. Repeat for a total of 15 times on each side and work up to 3 sets.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a 5-pound dumbbell in each hand at inner thighs.
- Bend knees 30 degrees, coming into a shallow squat.
- Keep your back straight as you bend forward from the hips, lowering weights toward the floor.
- Squeeze your glutes and slowly stand.
- Complete 3 sets of 15.
Lateral Step Extension
- Lie on floor and place your feet hip-width apart on a couch or bench, knees bent 70 to 90 degrees.
- Extend left leg, pointing toes.
- Press into your right foot and lift hips toward the ceiling.
- Complete 3 sets of 15 reps, then repeat on opposite side.
- Stand with your right side facing a step bench, holding a 5-pound dumbbell in each hand in front of your thighs.
- Step up sideways onto the bench with your right foot, then lift your left leg 45 degrees to the side, toes pointed.
- Hold for 3 counts.
- Step down and repeat for a total of 15 reps.
- Switch sides.
- Do 3 sets.
Stability Ball Bridge
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, knees bent about 30 degrees.
- Holding a 5-pound dumbbell in left hand, extend right leg back and lower weight toward floor.
- As you stand, kick right leg forward to hip height.
- Lower to start and repeat.
- Complete 3 sets of 15 reps on each side.
- Lie with shoulders and arms along the edge of a couch or bench.
- Balance feet on a small (25- to 35-centimeter) stability ball, knees bent.
- Keep feet on ball and press hips toward ceiling, bringing them level with chest.
- Complete 3 sets of 15.
- Stand with your right side 2 to 4 feet away from a step bench.
- Keeping your arms bent at sides, squat down slightly and hop up sideways onto the step, landing on your right foot.
- Next, bend knees slightly to hop back to start landing on your left foot.
- Continue hopping back and forth for a total of 15 times before switching sides to repeat.
- Complete 3 sets.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, June 2006.
© Copyright 2014 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.