Burn 135 calories fast with this express workout that sculpts your shoulders, chest, arms, and legs.
Jump Rope Basics
If you haven't picked up a jump rope since fourth-grade gym class, it's time for a skip down memory lane. Burn 135 calories in just 10 minutes with this jump rope workout from Marty Winkler, cocreator of RopeSport workout DVDs (ropesport.com). You'll also sculpt your shoulders, chest, arms, and legs.
How To Jump Rope
- Jump 1 to 2 inches off floor, giving rope just enough space to slip under feet -- only the balls of feet should touch the floor.
- Keep elbows close to sides as you turn the rope. The movement comes from the wrists and forearms, not the shoulders.
- If you tire out before you finish the workout, drop the rope, but keep arms and legs going. Work up to using the rope full-time.
- To find a rope that fits, place one foot in the center of the rope and lift the handles -- they shouldn't go past your armpits.
Jump over the rope with feet together, one jump per turn.
Repeat as before:
- Holding handles together, swing rope to the left and turn twice in a circular motion as you step to the left and tap right toes by left heel.
- Repeat to the right.
Originally published in Fitness magazine, July 2005.
© Copyright Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.