Try these oblique-targeting exercises to lose your love handles and whittle your waist.
Target Your Obliques
Target your obliques by using a stability and medicine ball, says Dana Cahill, personal training director at Sky Athletic Club in Rockville Centre, New York. Work up to three sets of 10.
Beginner: Stability-Ball Twist
Intermediate: Roll and Curl
- Lie back on a stability ball with your feet on the floor. Hold a medicine ball at chest level and extend arms.
- Keeping your butt on the ball, slowly rotate your torso to the left until your knuckles are pointing to the wall.
- Return to center and repeat on the other side.
Advanced: Medicine-Ball Twist
- Begin in a full push-up position with tops of your feet resting on a stability ball, hands on floor shoulder-width apart.
- Keeping your abs and glutes tight, bend your knees to roll ball in toward right side of chest.
- Extend your legs to roll ball back to start; repeat to the left.
- Lie faceup on floor holding a medicine ball in both hands overhead, knees bent 90 degrees, feet on floor.
- Crunch up, twisting shoulders to the right while bringing ball to right side of thighs; at the same time, bring knees toward the left.
- Return to start and switch sides.
Originally published in Fitness magazine, December 2005.