Use these body-slimming balance drills to sculpt your abs and improve your posture.
Target Your Posture
Balance drills sculpt your abs, improve your posture, and help you look slimmer overall, says Ellen Werther, a trainer in New York City. Work up to three sets of 10 to 12 reps per move.
Beginner: Squat on a Board
Intermediate: One-Legged Kick
- Stand in the center of a balance board with feet hip-width apart.
- Sit back into a squat, trying to keep board as steady as possible.
- Raise arms in front of you or use a wall if needed for support.
Advanced: Single-Leg Hop
- Stand with feet hip-width apart. Extend left leg behind you parallel to the floor as you raise arms in front of you.
- Simultaneously bend right knee. Come to a stand.
- Repeat on other side.
- Stand 3 inches in front of a step, hands on hips. Lift right foot off floor.
- Hop left foot onto center of step and hold for 3 counts, keeping abs tight.
- Extend right leg and both arms out in front of you, then hold for another 3 counts.
- Return to starting position and repeat on the opposite leg.
Originally published in Fitness magazine, October 2005.