Try these three butt-firming moves from a fitness professional to buff up your backside -- no matter what your level of fitness.
Target Your Backside
A sculpted backside not only looks good in jeans but it can power you through every workout, explains Nikki Kimbrough, a trainer at Bally Total Fitness in New York City. Work up to three sets of each move.
Beginner: Single-Leg Pelvic Thrust
- Lie on the floor with knees bent 90 degrees, feet on floor. Place arms at sides, palms down.
- Extend left leg 3 inches off floor with foot flexed. Engage your glutes and lift hips toward the ceiling, keeping your upper back on the floor.
- Hold for 2 counts, then lower hips. Complete 8 times; switch legs and repeat.
Advanced: Split Jumps
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, toes pointed out. Bend knees 90 degrees into a squat, elbows bent at your sides.
- Keeping weight balanced over your heels, step forward 3 inches with right foot, then follow with your left.
- Staying in the same position, step backward with your right foot, followed by the left foot. Repeat 8 to 10 times total.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart. Place your right foot forward and bend knees 90 degrees into a lunge.
- Bend elbows, bringing your right hand back and your left hand forward into runner's arms.
- Jump up to quickly switch legs and arms. Land softly and continue alternating legs and arms for 10 reps.
Originally published in Fitness magazine, March 2006.