Get the firm, toned butt you want -- no matter what your level of fitness. Try these 3 back-end-busting squats from a professional trainer.
Target Your Lower Body
A squat is one of the best lower-body exercises for targeting your glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves, says Bethni Lown, a trainer at The Gym in New York City. Do three of each move.
Beginner: Ball Squat
Intermediate: Side-to-Side Squat
- Standing with feet shoulder-width apart, place a stability ball between your lower back and a wall, hands on hips.
- Bend your knees 90 degrees, making sure they don't go past your toes.
- Return to start and complete 12 times.
Advanced: Crab Squat
- Stand with right side facing a step, hands on hips, right foot on top, left foot on floor.
- Bend knees 90 degrees. Stand up and push off with right foot as you hop onto other side of step.
- Repeat on left side, alternating 10 times.
- Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and turned out 45 degrees.
- Bend knees 90 degrees into a squat, keeping torso upright and knees over ankles.
- From that position, step left foot to the right, walking sideways.
- Take about 10 steps to the right and repeat on the left.
Originally published in Fitness magazine, February 2006.