Happy New Year!
Millions of people will choose a weight loss program to help them achieve their goals.
Here are five things to remember when choosing a weight loss program:
- Ask yourself, "Can I do this the rest of my life?" Any program you choose must be able to be done for the rest of your life. If the answer is no, you are less likely to have LASTING weight loss. Yes, you might have weight loss for a short amount of time but if you cannot stick with their plan forever, eventually you will quit and chances are you will gain some, if not all, of your weight back. So, this is the first tip because it is most important. I chose Weight Watchers because they have a plan that works for my life. I know plans like Jenny Craig and Medifast have a period where they transition back into "real food" at the end of their programs. I know Wheat Belly Diet and others like it teach you to eat to live healthier. Just take a few minutes, do some research and find the plan that fits into your lifestyle the best.
- Ask yourself, "Is this program affordable?" Another goal for many people is to get their finances under control. If you choose a weight loss program that is too expensive, you are more likely to quit. Find one that fits into your financial plan.
- Ask yourself, "Does this program have people I know that have been successful?" You want to choose a plan that has success - LASTING SUCCESS. If you can see others who have lost weight and maintained it for several years on a weight loss program, that is a good sign that you will find success also.
- Find a buddy to do the program with you. If you can, get some support. When I joined Weight Watchers four years ago, I went with my dad. Each week we would go to meeting together and support one another. It was so nice to have him there and be able to talk to one another and it helped us to stay on track. Over the years, I have become friends with other members at my meetings and we miss each other when we don't show up. Accountability is important so try to find someone to join the weight loss program with you.
- You must remember this - The program won't work itself! All of the above things are great and true but if you don't work the plan, the plan won't work for you. No matter which weight loss program you choose, you must be 100% committed to doing what they ask you to do. Stick with it for at least six weeks. If after that time, you don't think it is working for your life, find a different program. There are so many weight loss programs out there that work for different people. If you are in one that isn't working for you, don't waste any more money. But...you have to do the program like you are supposed to. Whole heartedly!
I want to encourage you to choose a weight loss program. It can be anything you choose but choose one that will make you healthier this year. This is YOUR year. You can do anything you put your mind to!
What is one thing you plan to do in the New Year?