Summer is in full swing! For most people, summer is spent by the pool or the beach or outside grilling with friends and family.
It also means drinking alcoholic beverages. Nothing beats the 100 degree temps like a nice frosty beverage.
For those of us trying to live a healthy lifestyle, alcohol can pack a serious caloric punch. According to WebMD and Forbes, there are some drinks that you need to avoid at all costs due to the high number of calories.
- Long Island Iced Tea (780 calories)
- Margarita (740 calories)
- Pina Colada (644 calories)
- Chocolate Martini (438 calories)
- White Russian (425 calories)
- Mai Tai (350 calories)
So, the question is, “How can we still enjoy a summer cocktail without drinking a meal’s worth of calories!?!" My opinion is to try and find some healthier options to replace these favorites but still let you enjoy a summer drink.
Here are some healthy alternatives to your favorite summer drinks. Try them and let us know what you think:
- Long Island Iced Tea - This recipe has 80% fewer calories and 1/3 the carbs of the traditional recipe.
- Margarita - Fellow Fitterati, Skinnytaste has made a citrus margarita spritzer for you to enjoy!
- Pina Colada - Fitness has given you a pina colada cooler along with eight other refreshing low calorie cocktails!
- Chocolate Martini - This chocolate martini has only 136 calories!
- White Russian - This alternative will only cost you 250 calories!
- Mai Tai - This mai tai is slimmed down with only 127 calories!
If you are someone who would rather just skip the fancy drinks all together and find a solution for every day drinking, here are some tips to use:
- Drink Wine - Most glasses of wine will only cost you between 100 and 200 calories depending on the portion.
- Drink Light Beer - Most light beers contain the same amount of alcohol but with fewer carbs!
- Mix your favorite liquor with diet soda instead of regular.
- You can also mix up drinks and add more flavor by choosing flavored vodkas.
As always, before hitting the bar or the beach, make a plan. If you can go into a situation with a plan in your mind, you won’t be making hasty last minute decisions that you will regret later on.
Above all, take time this summer to relax, spend time with friends and family, and go ahead and enjoy a few beverages. Just try and make smarter choices so you can feel good afterwards!