Written on September 17, 2012 at 1:47 pm , by Marianne Magno
Written on August 20, 2012 at 2:46 pm , by FITNESS Editors
– By Lauren Cardarelli, freelance editorial assistant
Next Sunday is Women’s Equality Day, commemorating the 19th Amendment’s passage in 1920 and recognizing women’s rights. To celebrate (and remind ourselves to keep kicking major butt!) we put together our favorite girl power beats that we hope will inspire you to keep moving forward—both on and off the treadmill.
Written on July 16, 2012 at 9:20 am , by Karla Walsh
It feels like this is the summer for heroes. We kicked off the season with The Avengers, and The Amazing Spider-Man was a huge box office hit more recently. And later this week, Batman is back in The Dark Knight Rises.
Want to channel your inner superhero during your next workout? Download these songs and get ready to feel triumphant—no cape required!
- “My Hero,” Foo Fighters
- “SuperGirl,” Saving Jane
- “Something to Believe In,” Aqualung
- “Titanium,” David Guetta, featuring Sia
- “I’ll Be in the Sky,” B.o.B.
- “Someone to Save You,” One Republic
- “Indestructible,” Robyn
- “Hero/Heroine,” Boys Like Girls
- “Glad You Came,” The Wanted
- “The Good Fight,” Dashboard Confessional
- “Be My Escape,” Relient K
- “How to Save a Life,” The Fray
Now tell us: Which song makes you feel like you possess superpowers?
Written on July 9, 2012 at 9:04 am , by Colleen Travers
As her role in Lifetime’s Drop Dead Diva, April Bowlby plays Stacy Barrett, the best friend to a once vapid model whose soul has landed inside the body of a plus-sized attorney, Jane Bingum. April’s character is a wannabe model herself, who helps Jane navigate her future in her new, oversized physique.
In real life, April Bowlby loves a good sweat session. “I just started the most amazing ballet class and I am obsessed with it,” she says. “The first half is all about stretching out and warming up your muscles and the second half is at the barre. It has really helped with my posture.” When she’s not practicing her plies, Bowlby stays in shape with some simple cardio. “I love jogging on the treadmill. Once you find a rhythm it’s easy to get into the zone. I also love hiking with my dog.” To help you get in the zone this week, Bowlby shared her playlist that she listens to while pounding out the miles:
For more information on April Bowlby and Drop Dead Diva, visit dropdeaddivafans.tumblr.com.
Written on June 11, 2012 at 5:39 pm , by Samantha Shelton
Even though the official start of summer isn’t for another week, the temps have been climbing to send us straight into the familiar heat waves we dream about all winter long. Another thing sure to make us think of summer – pop music! After all, who doesn’t like to blast catchy tunes, sing at the top of their lungs and dance in their bikini?
To keep you pumping through a sweaty summer workout, download some of our current pop plays, along with a few throwback favorites.
- “Not Over You,” Gaving DeGraw
- “Call Me Maybe,” Carly Rae Jepsen
- “Wannabe,” Spice Girls
- “What Makes You Beautiful,” One Direction
- “Boyfriend,” Justin Bieber
- Everybody (Backstreet’s Back),” Backstreet Boys
- “Scream,” Usher
- “Fine By Me,” Andy Grammer
- “Payphone,” Maroon 5
- “Wild Ones,” Flo Rida
Now you tell us: What are some of your all-time favorite pop songs?
Written on June 6, 2012 at 4:18 pm , by FITNESS Intern
Written by Lisa Turner, editorial intern
It’s hot, you’re sweaty and you feel like if you run one more step, you just might pass out on the asphalt. But all of a sudden, that song comes up on your iPod that propels you through the rest of your workout. Whether it’s the fast paced beat or the uplifting lyrics, many of us feel empowered by a special song when we’re in the zone. So what song pumps you up the most? We asked our Twitter followers to share their summer workout anthem with us to stay motivated, no matter how hot it’s getting!
@she_is_geeky: “My Body,” Young the Giant
@erinmoorman: My workout song is “Sexy and I Know It,” LMFAO.
@renea_shirey: “T.H.E (The Hardest Ever),” will.i.am. I play this the last mile of my runs to finish strong.
@MsHealthyWife: “What Makes You Beautiful,” One Direction. I can’t help but #MOVE when I hear it!
@happigolovely: “Where Have You Been,” Rihanna. It keeps me amped up!
@CaressaCrawford: “Call Me, Maybe,” Carly Rae Jensen
@onebabs1: “Till I Collapse,” Eminem and “Go Get It (Your Blessing),” Mary Mary
Now tell us: What summer song keeps your motivated when you work out?
Written on June 4, 2012 at 9:15 am , by Karla Walsh
You know that running is a great way to get an endorphin rush, enjoy the amazing summer weather we’ve been having, and bonus: it burns calories and strengthens your heart and legs. In case you needed one more push to hit the road, this Wednesday is National Running Day! (Click here for 10 fun ways to celebrate.)
To keep you motivated during all your runs this week, check out Pandora’s Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon Mixed Tape channels. Whether you run an 8-minute, 10-minute or 12-minute mile, you’ll have plenty of continuously changing songs that will keep you on pace to ace your race.
Here are 10 songs that have the perfect beats per minute for all of the 10-minute milers:
- “Any Way You Want It,” Journey
- “That’s Not My Name,” The Ting Tings
- “We’re Going to be Friends,” The White Stripes
- “Bottoms Up,” Trey Songz, featuring Nicki Minaj
- “Get On Your Boots,” U2
- “Brown Eyed Girl,” Van Morrison
- “Say It Ain’t So,” Weezer
- “Weekend Wars,” MGMT
- “Gold Lion,” Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- “Free,” Zac Brown Band
You can also mark the holiday by scoring an exclusive $20 discount to any Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon Series event* when you sign up on Wednesday, June 6. Follow this link to put your next race on your calendar!
*Excludes Las Vegas, MiniMarathons, closed events and ING KiDS Rock. Ten dollar discount for the New York 10K and Carlsbad 5000. International event discounts vary.
Now tell us: What is your next fitness goal? Do you have any races or challenges lined up for summer?
Written on May 21, 2012 at 11:02 am , by Karla Walsh
Lacey Stone has shared her fit tips on The Dr. Oz Show, MTV’s MADE and Bravo’s Pregnant in Heels, and Hollywood all-stars like Nicole Kidman, Brooke Shields, Amanda Peet and America Ferrera have shaped up fast with her help. We were lucky enough to join celebrity trainer Lacey Stone at a recent KiwiSweat cycling class and found her intensity infectious.
A big driver behind all of that fire? Her killer playlist! We asked Stone to share her favorite songs for summer so you can channel that energy in your workouts too.
- “The Fighter,” Gym Class Heroes, featuring Ryan Tedder
- “Can’t Stop Me (Tiesto Remix),” Afrojack; Shermanology
- “Girl Gone Wild,” Madonna vs. Avicii
- “Beware (Jay-Z Remix),” Panjabi MC
- “Turn Up the Music,” Chris Brown
- “Glad You Came (Alex Gaudino Remix),” The Wanted
- “Breathing,” Jason Derulo
- “The World is Mine (Radio Edit),” David Guetta
- “Where Have You Been,” Rihanna
- “The Cave,” Mumford & Sons
Now tell us: What songs are on your summer playlist?
Written on May 7, 2012 at 10:04 am , by Marianne Magno
For someone who’s gotten used to the nonstop sounds of NYC, doing a yoga class in complete silence is, well, a foreign concept. Which is why I was glad to hear that SLT Yoga officially opened their doors in NYC this May. The offspring of Pilates-based SLT (Strengthen Lengthen and Tone) combines Vinyasa yoga with popular tunes to sustain and enhance your energy throughout the hour-long routine. I worked up a sweat while giving my muscles a much-needed stretch session and my mind a feel-good recharge.
SLT co-founder Erin Jacques, who led our class, shared her playlist so you can move to the music on your own mats.
- “Changes“, Tupac
- “Good Day,” Greg Street Presents Nappy Roots
- “What Makes You Beautiful,” One Direction
- “Payphone,” Maroon 5
- “Kush,” Dr. Dre, featuring Snoop Dogg and Akon
- “We Built This City,” Starship
- “Lonely Boy,” The Black Keys
- “Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem),” Jay-Z
- “Never Forget You,” Lupe Fiasco, featuring John Legend
- “Your Love,” Nicki Minaj
- “Rocketeer,” Far East Movement
- “Slice,” Five for Fighting
- “Empty,” Ray LaMontagne
Tell us: Do you prefer yoga with complete silence or need a soundtrack to move with?
Written on April 27, 2012 at 5:13 pm , by Karla Walsh
This week’s fit links from around the web:
- Spend a bit of time in the kitchen this weekend making dough (and 44 other foods) to save some major dough at the supermarket. — Greatist
- Sure, it’s not #MusicMonday, but these 30 songs will still get you moving! — Daily Spark
- Is your Purell disappearing quicker than usual? Here’s why you may want to be worried. — USA TODAY
- Find out how Biggest Loser host Alison Sweeney kicks cake cravings. — Fit Bottomed Girls
- How do diets compare around the country—and the globe? Check out this fun infographic! — Massive Health
- Strapless dress season is rapidly approaching. Use this back workout to tone up in no time. — Fitnessista