Written on January 22, 2014 at 9:32 am , by Christie Griffin
ICYMI: Our week 2 #GetFitParty Instagram challenge was to show us your pics of working out with a buddy. Studies have shown that working out with a partner improves weight-loss results, which could be because you push yourself harder, have more fun, and have the all-important accountability factor influencing you.
But if scheduling a workout sesh with a bud or even just getting to the gym creates a problem, we’ve got a stellar recommendation for you: Skypercise. Whether you’re partnering up with a pal to workout over the world wide web or enlisting a professional trainer to help you out virtually, it’s an excellent way to ditch the excuses so that you can stick to your resolutions.
Which is why we’re thrilled to offer a lucky reader a fabulous Skype prize package, courtesy of Skype!
One lucky FITNESS reader will score a $100 Skype gift card and two one-on-one sessions with Marc D. Thompson, a fitness trainer, personal coach, owner of Virtufit.net, and Skypercise pro. All you have to do is enter here by January 31, 2014. [Official Rules]
Good luck! Now get to work, #GetFitParty crowd!
Written on March 23, 2012 at 3:52 pm , by Karla Walsh
This week’s fit links from around the web:
- Grab a pal for a fun workout date! Here are five ideas to get you started. — Fit Sugar
- Dinner is served! With the weather becoming more summer-like by the day, a simple, veggie-packed meal, like these buffalo chicken BLAT wraps, is just the ticket. — Iowa Girl Eats
- One woman’s quest to stay forever fit starts with making smart choices one meal at a time. — Losing Weight in the City
- We couldn’t resist sharing one last Hunger Games-related story. These cupcakes are (almost) too pretty to eat! Savor one for a weekend treat. — Fictional Food
- You may have thought this dangerous habit was becoming less common, but it actually still causes one death every six seconds. — MSNBC
Written on December 6, 2011 at 7:00 am , by fitsugar
Finding the perfect workout buddy can be as challenging as finding the right pair of sneaks. Whether they push you too much or not nearly enough, here are some signs it’s time to “break up” with your fitness partner.
- She calls you five minutes before you’re supposed to meet her outside for a morning run and invites you over for pancakes instead.
- She obnoxiously screams out random numbers while you’re trying to count out reps.
- You hop on the treadmill next to your buddy, and while punching in your weight, she glances over and exclaims, “Holy crap, you weigh _____!!”
- She tells you to bail on your group session with the hot fitness trainer because she wants to “make her move.”
- While doing your dumbbell sets, she continually asks, “Are you done yet?”
- You sign up for your first half-marathon, and she calls you wimpy for not signing up for a full.
Keep reading here for four more reasons you might need a new workout buddy.
Now tell us: Have you ever had to break up with your fitness partner?
More from FitSugar: