“Hit the Road, Jack, and don’t you come back no more, no more, no more, no more…”
That’s exactly what we think of every time we head over to visit Lynda’s blog, Hit the Road Jane, no matter how much we try not to. But we say that’s the perfect kind of branding – nothing like leaving a lasting impression! Instead of setting off solo though, we’ll just hit the road running with Lynda, an energetic Latina from Florida who’s showing us day by day how to keep moving, going after goals (no matter how crazy they may seem!) and always having a good dose of hope in her back pocket. Find out what she’s dreaming of next and how she keeps her workout routine interesting.
I’m happiest when I’m: Done with a tough workout! Nothing compares with the satisfaction I get after completing a tough run, group class or swim. I always gain more confidence and am amazed at how strong my body can be, even if I had my doubts coming into the workout. It just goes to show that we are all stronger than we think!
My favorite way to workout: Variety really is the spice of life. I enjoy mixing things up and have really embraced training for my first triathlon because of this. I noticed that doing the same workouts every week bored me in the past. So I like having a plan to run, bike, swim and cross-train with weights, Zumba or a Spin class.
5 things I can’t live without:
- Books. I’ve been an avid reader since I was a kid, thanks to my Dad. If I had to choose only one thing I couldn’t live without, this would be it. Books are an escape, an inspiration, and can sometimes offer my personal favorite – perspective.
- Technology. Call me a nerd, but I love gadgets (especially fitness ones like Polar, Garmin or FitBit). It’s just fun to learn how to use them and make them a part of daily life.
- Music, especially during runs. Try listening to the movie soundtrack channel on Pandora during your next long run and tell me you don’t feel like you’re on your way to save the world.
- My passport. I’m addicted to travel and exploring the world around me. I want to keep visiting new places for as long as I can! Running has definitely helped me travel to places I never would have gone otherwise, like Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
- Hope. It drives everything I do an aspire for. Without it, I’d never dream big or set out to accomplish the things that scare me.
My biggest indulgence: Chocolate, hands down. Mmm…
On my fit life list: A half-Ironman, the Boston marathon, and an international marathon, like Paris or Athens.
Do you have a favorite fit blogger you want us to highlight? Leave a comment below or email email@example.com
We’ve eaten our turkey, devoured our pumpkin pie, and slept it all off , so what’s there left to do? Shopping of course! If the Black Friday madness isn’t your thing (don’t worry its not ours either!), you can still get your shop on from the comfort of your own home! All it takes is a few clicks, and voila! You’ve got holiday goodies for your friends and family, and maybe even for yourself too!
Now the question is, what to buy? The staffers here at FITNESS are all hoping to find something techy under the tree (or menorah!) this year. Here’s what’s on their wish lists:
- Nutrition Editor Juno DeMelo, Senior Editor Bethany Gumper and Editorial Assistant Lauren Cardarelli are all wanting a Garmin watch, like the Forerunner 10, to track their miles, burned calories, and speed/pace, while they train for their next big races. We love that it comes in fun colors, and the best part is, it’s super easy to use!
- Having trouble sleeping at night? This awesome Renew Sleepclock monitors your breathing and sleeping patterns using a non-contact sensor while you sleep. Pretty cool huh? All you have to do is download the app to your iOS device, pop it in the docking station, and sleep. When you wake up you’ll have you’re sleep stats! Our Senior Editor Lisa Haney already owns one and can’t wait to get one for a certain sleepyhead on her Christmas list!