Written on July 13, 2012 at 11:30 am , by FITNESS Intern
Written by Ali Carlson, fashion intern
Memories of playing with sidewalk chalk as a child eventually fade, but with pastel shades making their mark on the runways and in stores, everyone gets a chance to bring the chalk back to the streets.
Pastel separates for the summer are great for both day and night. Pieces can be mixed, matched and layered to offer multiple looks. To get that easy, breezy summer look, stick with light and airy fabrics.
If you want to get more out of the versatile trend, pair with black and white for extra boldness. We also love adding gold jewelry and fun shoes!
Looks from left to right:
- 3.1 Phillip Lim top, Red Valentino pants, Charles Philip shoes, TopShop necklace
- Victoria Beckham Denim top, By Malene Birger pants, Belle Sigerson Morrison shoes, TopShop earrings, TopShop hand chain
- TopShop top, Marni pants, Matiko shoes, TopShop earrings
- Haute Hippie blazer, Malene Birger shorts, Rachel Zoe shoes, TopShop ring
Written on July 2, 2012 at 2:35 pm , by FITNESS Intern
Written by Andrea Alvarez, fashion intern
Summer’s officially in full gear, and we are super excited for salt water in our hair, sun-kissed skin and most importantly, summer fashions. With the 4th of July on our heels, we have two perfect patriotic looks to satisfy the mood you’re in, whether you’re headed to a barbecue or hanging poolside with your friends.
Feeling flirty? Slip on a sweetheart denim dress and throw on a cute pair of wedges. We love this dress from TopShop!
If feisty is more your style, nothing beats a pair of combat boots or Converse kicks and high-waisted shorts. Spice it up with a crop tank like this one, and you’ll be party ready in no time.
Now you tell us: What are you wearing this 4th of July?
Written on May 24, 2012 at 11:08 am , by Karla Walsh
Did you know…
- One in four adults across the globe live on less than $1 a day, making even daily essentials hard to afford
- Feet with cuts can easily get infected by ground debris, and these infections can become life-threatening
- In 2011, Americans tossed more than 300 million pairs of shoes
For these reasons and more (including our need to replace our gym flip-flops and gear up for summer!), we were pumped to hear about a new partnership with the non-profit Soles4Souls and Planet Flops. For each pair of the $28 sandals sold online, Planet Flops will donate another pair to those in need here in the U.S. and in developing countries including Haiti, India and Sudan.
Another neat way to help the cause: Download the new all-star country song “The Choice” by artists including Kellie Pickler, LeAnn Rimes, Keith Urban and more. All proceeds from the song go directly to help put shoes on feet of those without. Click here for a sample and/or to download.
And for more about Souls4Soles and other organizations that will help your fitness gear find a new life, check out this recent recycling roundup from our friends at FitSugar!
More from FITNESS:
- The FITNESS 2012 Sneaker Guide
- Get Fit On a Budget: 10 Ways to Save Money While Staying Fit
- Injury-Proof Your Shoes
Written on April 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm , by Marla Horenbein
Now that our May 2012 issue is out on newsstands (happy 20th anniversary to us!), you’ve all gotten to see how awesome our cover girl, Elle MacPherson, looks. I hope I’m lucky enough to look as hot as she is when I’m 48! Wishful thinking? I think so.
The fashion team absolutely loved working with Elle. She was super-easy going, looked AH-MAZ-ING in everything we put her in (which always makes our job that much more fun!), and her laid back, surfer girl vibe made the set a fun place to be.
Since we want you to look as hot as Elle this summer, we’ve decided to share with you all of the buying information for the pieces that Elle sported on our duel covers. We hope you love it, as much as we do!
Written on July 15, 2011 at 11:46 am , by Marla Horenbein
Hats are one of those accessories that you can either pull off or not. If you are indeed a hat person, one of your must have summer accessories is the straw fedora. Perfect for a day at the beach or strolling around town, the fedora can make you look chic and totally summer-esque. Keep in mind though, that the straw fedora should only be worn during the day while the sun is shining. Wearing your fedora on date night with your hubby or out to for a night of dancing with the girls was so last year. Here are a few key points to remember when looking for your perfect fedora:
- The brim should sit just above your eyebrows. Any lower and the hat will swallow you whole.
- You should choose a fedora based on the proportions of your body. Small, petite frames should opt for a smaller brim, while curvy body types should look for wider brims.
- How your hair is worn with your fedora is crucial—a side-swept pony will make the look totally effortless.
- Have fun with color and patterns! There are a ton awesome prints, colors and styles out there so be adventurous.
Click below for our picks for the perfect summer hat.