Written by Carrie Stevens, editorial intern
Even though Mother Nature doesn’t seem to know which season she wants to stick to (and we don’t really believe Punxsutawney Phil anymore), spring is on the way—in fact, the first official day is this Wednesday! A new season means fresh jams, so rev up your reps with iTunes’ top 10 tunes of the week.
Now you tell us: What new songs are you loving this season?
Between the warm(er than usual) weather and March Madness, we’re feeling a little nostalgic for Spring Break in college! So we scored a couple cocktail recipes from Bryan Dayton, the owner and Beverage Director at OAK at Fourteenth in Boulder, Colorado…including a non-alcoholic one, for those of you who gave up booze for Lent/New Year’s/Who Knows Why.
Before we hand over the happy hour inspiration, you should know whom it’s coming from. Bryan hasn’t just been a mixologist for 15 years—he’s also a trail runner (the higher the altitude, the better) with an incredible race resume. Nice!
My Little Honey
- 1.5 oz gin
- .5 oz honey syrup (1:1 honey to hot water)
- .5 oz fresh lemon juice
- Soda water
To make: Pour all ingredients over crushed ice, give a quick stir and garnish with a lemon.
- 2 slices of cucumber
- 2 quarter wedges of lime
- 1.5 oz gin or vodka
- .25 oz honey syrup
To make: Muddle all of the above together in a mixing tin and then add ice. Shake. Fine-strain over crushed ice and then garnish with a slice of cucumber. Idea: Substitute berries for the cucumber, if you want something fruity!
The Summer Smash (Non Alcoholic)
- 2 slices of cucumber
- 6 mint leaves
- 1 mint sprig
- .5 oz lime
- .25 oz honey syrup
- 3 oz soda water
To make: Muddle mint and cucumber in a mixing tin. Add all the ingredients, except for the soda water. Add ice, shake and strain into a highball glass with ice. Finally, pour in soda water and give it a quick stir. Garnish with mint sprig.
Traditional Margarita on the Rocks
- 1.5 oz Reposado tequila
- .75 oz orange liqueur
- .75 oz fresh lime juice
To make: Put all ingredients into a shaker, add ice and shake. Pour over fresh ice in a short tumbler and garnish with lime. Salt is optional.
True, this winter has been surprisingly mild for most of America. Yet we’re still excited to spring forward this Sunday and score some more afternoon sunshine for post-work workouts! To celebrate, we’re downloading this warm weather-inspired playlist which will act as a soundtrack for our outdoor fitness activities this season:
- “Soak Up the Sun,” Sheryl Crow
- “Paradise,” Coldplay
- “Here Comes the Sun,” The Beatles
- “Beautiful Day,” U2
- “Walkin’ On the Sun,” Smash Mouth
- “California Gurls,” Katy Perry, featuring Snoop Dogg
- “Halo/Walking on Sunshine,” Glee Cast
- “Summer Love,” Justin Timberlake
- “Escapade,” Janet Jackson
- “The Sun Will Rise,” Kelly Clarkson
Now tell us: What songs automatically put you in a sunny mood?
Earlier this week the fashion and beauty departments teamed up to shoot one of our April beauty features (get ready for some amazing spring makeup!) and we put a cool tribal spin on it to showcase one of our favorite spring fashion trends. We all had such a blast at the photo shoot, playing around with fun prints, bright colors and tons of sky-high, stacked heels. You’ll have to wait until our April issue hits newsstands in mid-March to see the final outcome, but until then, here is a little sneak peek of our day, with some behind the scenes footage!
Click here to see how to trick out your own wardrobe in tribal prints!
This month, every refreshingly warm, sunny day has been followed up with at least two days of rain, clouds and cold. So as much as we’d like to, we can’t pack away our wellies and waterproof jackets just yet!
Take a peek at our favorite waterproof spring pieces that keep us smilin’ even when the sun isn’t shining.
1. Totes Bubble Umbrella, $22
2. Superdry Stormtracker Jacket, $95
3. Hunter Watling Lace Up Full Knee Boot, $175
4. Columbia Sportswear Trail Trip Rain Jacket, $95
5. Sperry Topsider Pelican Wedge Sadie Boot, $80
6. The North Face Venture Jacket, $99
- Strawberry Bruschetta: It may be a few more weeks before the best berries hit stores, but I just had my first taste and can’t wait for more! This dish will make an ideal snack, dessert or even a decadent breakfast. (203 calories, 5 g fat)
- Garden Fresh Asparagus Soup: Call me crazy, but it doesn’t feel like spring without asparagus. This bowl can be served heated or chilled, and feel free to substitute low-fat Greek yogurt for the creme fraiche. (203 calories, 13 g fat)
- Marinated Garden Lentil Salad Pita: Simply toss, mix and eat! Vegetarians and meat-eaters alike will enjoy how simple, tasty and fiber-filled this recipe is. (396 calories, 11 g fat)
- Barbecue Chicken Chopped Salad: Pack all your vegetable servings for the day into one meal (hey, it’s OK to go a bit overboard on the veggies!). The chicken gives this meal some serious staying power. (337 calories, 13 g fat)
- Raspberry-Mango Sundae: Round out your dinner—or snack on—nonfat frozen yogurt topped with a fruity, sweet sauce. The best part, besides the excellent nutrition stats? Frozen berries are recommended, so they’ll keep for weeks in your fridge. (167 calories, 2 g fat)
What foods signal spring for you?
The not-so-welcome news for some of us: Clocks “spring forward” this Sunday—meaning that we lose an hour of our already limited sleep. But we at FITNESS consider this well worth it, since what we lose in sleep we gain in extra post-workday sun time. That means more opportunities for outdoor evening exercise!
Here are a few fun sleep-related tools that may not help you snooze more, but do guarantee to make the switch a bit more bearable or fun:
For soothing…The White Noise app will play your favorite soothing sounds (wind, showers, ocean) as well as some options that strike us as not-so-calming (vacuum, violent noise or train). And it will play for as long as you like, because, appropriately, there are multiple sleep timers. ($1.99, iTunes Store)
For laughs…The mattress company Sealy recently released a new app that harkens back to the popular junior high fortune cookie joke. Simply snap a photo you’re your smart phone or iPod touch and place a “in bed” caption after whatever you like. (Free, iTunes store)
When all else fails…Perhaps you could find someone who actually sells the Sleep Safe Tape, so that when you do finally nod off, others will think you’re as alert as ever. (Of course, we don’t really endorse this kind of trickery, but it sure is a creative idea!)
Do you look forward to setting your clocks ahead or struggle with the switch?
More from FITNESS: 5 Steps to a Good Night’s Sleep