With spring break in full swing (or already passed for many!) thoughts turn to summer and upcoming getaways. If a beach getaway is in the books, a surf session is likely on the agenda. While it’s rare to have a surf school nearby in most areas of the country, there’s plenty you can do now to hit the waves feeling strong, prepared and confident.
“Pre-training is important for excelling, keeping safe and having fun with summer water sports,” says Rob Stuart, private trainer at The Sports Club/LA in Washington, D.C. Four to six weeks before your departure, follow Stuart’s plan for a three-pronged approach at a surf-ready (and beach-ready) body:
- Cardio 15 to 20 minutes three days a week
- Total-body strength training three days a week
- Yoga and swimming to complement
To hit all the muscle groups you’ll need on the board, try these seven moves during your strength sessions. Do three sets of 12 reps of each exercise.
- Squat Push
- Deadlift with dumbbells
- Lat Raise Combo
- Modified T Push-Up (Make it harder: Do this move on your toes.)
- Triceps Extension (No machine? Try this with a resistance band or swap in the Triceps Sit.)
- Roll and Curl
Now tell us: Are you planning a spring or summer getaway? If so, do you change your exercise routine beforehand?
Between the warm(er than usual) weather and March Madness, we’re feeling a little nostalgic for Spring Break in college! So we scored a couple cocktail recipes from Bryan Dayton, the owner and Beverage Director at OAK at Fourteenth in Boulder, Colorado…including a non-alcoholic one, for those of you who gave up booze for Lent/New Year’s/Who Knows Why.
Before we hand over the happy hour inspiration, you should know whom it’s coming from. Bryan hasn’t just been a mixologist for 15 years—he’s also a trail runner (the higher the altitude, the better) with an incredible race resume. Nice!
My Little Honey
- 1.5 oz gin
- .5 oz honey syrup (1:1 honey to hot water)
- .5 oz fresh lemon juice
- Soda water
To make: Pour all ingredients over crushed ice, give a quick stir and garnish with a lemon.
- 2 slices of cucumber
- 2 quarter wedges of lime
- 1.5 oz gin or vodka
- .25 oz honey syrup
To make: Muddle all of the above together in a mixing tin and then add ice. Shake. Fine-strain over crushed ice and then garnish with a slice of cucumber. Idea: Substitute berries for the cucumber, if you want something fruity!
The Summer Smash (Non Alcoholic)
- 2 slices of cucumber
- 6 mint leaves
- 1 mint sprig
- .5 oz lime
- .25 oz honey syrup
- 3 oz soda water
To make: Muddle mint and cucumber in a mixing tin. Add all the ingredients, except for the soda water. Add ice, shake and strain into a highball glass with ice. Finally, pour in soda water and give it a quick stir. Garnish with mint sprig.
Traditional Margarita on the Rocks
- 1.5 oz Reposado tequila
- .75 oz orange liqueur
- .75 oz fresh lime juice
To make: Put all ingredients into a shaker, add ice and shake. Pour over fresh ice in a short tumbler and garnish with lime. Salt is optional.
This week’s fit links from around the web:
- Steal slim kitchen secrets from top chefs. Surprise: Brownies are still on the good-for-you menu! — iVillage
- Whether your schedule is too packed for a gym visit or you’re looking for a commercial time workout, try one—or all—of these 50 body weight exercises. — Greatist
- Jazz up a ho-hum bowl of oats with these unique sweet and savory combinations. —Q by Equinox
- Beat boredom on the treadmill with these interval workouts. — Carrots ‘N’ Cake
- Wake up! These bedtime habits aren’t doing you any energy favors. — Fit Sugar
- Bypass the snack cookies and slushies and grab one of these 10 convenience store snacks when you’re road tripping for spring break. — Snack Girl
True, this winter has been surprisingly mild for most of America. Yet we’re still excited to spring forward this Sunday and score some more afternoon sunshine for post-work workouts! To celebrate, we’re downloading this warm weather-inspired playlist which will act as a soundtrack for our outdoor fitness activities this season:
- “Soak Up the Sun,” Sheryl Crow
- “Paradise,” Coldplay
- “Here Comes the Sun,” The Beatles
- “Beautiful Day,” U2
- “Walkin’ On the Sun,” Smash Mouth
- “California Gurls,” Katy Perry, featuring Snoop Dogg
- “Halo/Walking on Sunshine,” Glee Cast
- “Summer Love,” Justin Timberlake
- “Escapade,” Janet Jackson
- “The Sun Will Rise,” Kelly Clarkson
Now tell us: What songs automatically put you in a sunny mood?
With the cold, wintry weather we had over the weekend in the northeast, spring seems very far off. But you can channel a little spring break flavor in the gym with this playlist from music producer Emilio Estefan (who also happens to be married to Gloria)!
Estefan should know what motivates those in the fitness world—he is also an executive producer for Univision’s weight-loss reality show Dale Con Ganas that we told you about last month. Download his 11 picks to feel like your island hopping even when it’s below zero.
- “Wepa,” Gloria Estefan
- “Sexy and I Know It,” LMFAO
- “On The Floor,” Jennifer Lopez, featuring Pitbull
- “Super Bass,” Nicki Minaj
- “Hotel Nacional,” Gloria Estefan
- “Moves Like Jagger,” Maroon 5, featuring Christina Aguilera
- “La Vida Es Una Carnaval,” Celia Cruz
- “Give Me Everything,” Pitbull, featuring Ne-Yo, Afrojack & Nayer
- “Me Rio de Ti,” Gloria Trevi
- “I Like How It Feels,” Enrique Iglesias, featuring Pitbull & The WAV.s
- “El Poeta,” Chino Y Nacho
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
More from FITNESS: