Written on September 3, 2013 at 2:07 pm , by FITNESS Intern
Written by Alena Hall, editorial intern
With summer coming to an end and a post-vacation workload piling up on your desk, National Yoga Month could not have arrived at a better time! In 2008, the Department of Health and Human Services dedicated the month of September to raising awareness of yoga’s benefits—improving strength, flexibility, posture, breathing and stress management—so what better way to celebrate than hitting the mat? Studios, teachers and brands nationwide filled these 30 days with a variety of events to help newcomers and experienced yogis alike strike a pose in fun, budget-friendly ways. Take advantage of these special classes, programs and even an app to balance both your mind and body.
- New York City’s Pure Yoga studios are offering a selection of free yoga classes between Monday, September 9 and Friday, September 13 for first-time visitors and longstanding members. Be sure to sign up for these zen sessions soon – spots will go fast!
- Athleta and YogaGlo teamed up to create a series of free online yoga classes available throughout September. The videos are separated into three practice levels to meet every yogi’s needs. If group fitness is more your style, Athleta storefronts are also hosting special events all month long. Visit their website to find one near you.
- For the yogis with limited free time, DailyBurn.com is offering a free, 30-day trial of their online yoga program YogaFlow. This video progression caters to practitioners of all levels by integrating different styles such as mobility, meditation and strength recovery yoga.
- Internationally acclaimed yoga expert and teacher Christine Martitz developed Dive Into Yoga, a mobile app for iPhone and Andriod that helps you take your practice virtually anywhere! The 26 professional videos demonstrate each posture with far more detail than other apps that rely on still images alone.
More from FITNESS:
Written on September 4, 2012 at 9:20 am , by FITNESS Intern
Written by Dionne Evans, editorial intern
By now, we know there’s an array of ways you can lend a helping hand to your favorite charity: completing a race and fundraising, volunteering, or donating no-longer-used products are just a few. But what about moving into downward dog or conquering the handstand? Yep, that’s an option now, too.
The Yoga Aid Foundation, an international nonprofit organization, is known for holding yoga events in the name of raising funds for various charities. Started by Clive Mayhew and wife Eriko Kinoshita, the foundation hosts traveling events through “The Challenge” series.
The Challenge is an event led by a set of 12 instructors who, for two hours, practice yoga to raise money for selected charity partners. But that’s not all: On September 9, The Foundation is dreaming big.
Hosting the first Yoga Aid World Challenge, this 24-hour yoga relay incorporates prestigious yoga teachers, like Shiva Rea, who will raise money for 15 humanitarian-based charities. The goal for this event is to raise $1 million in donations – all of which will go to the chosen charities. Taking place in over 200 locations in 20 different countries, the worldwide relay will start at 8 a.m. in Sydney, Australia and end at 6 p.m. in Los Angeles. Sessions last two hours and are free of charge, though a donation is strongly encouraged.
For more details and to see a list of the chosen charities: visit their website.
Now you tell us: What’s your favorite way to give back?
Written on September 1, 2012 at 7:42 am , by FITNESS Intern
Written by Deanna Cioppa, editorial intern
No matter your occupation, lifestyle or fitness level, we could all use time to connect with ourselves. Trouble is, it’s not so easy to come by. Well, it will be a whole lot easier this September to find some quality me-time (and get a step closer to our strength and flexibility goals) with National Yoga Month and Athleta stores.
All month long, Athleta will be hosting FREE Saturday yoga classes in-store. And that’s not all! Starting on September 1, check your local Athleta store or Athleta.com/yogamonth for a schedule of other events, tips and giveaways, including the chance to win a private yoga session and shopping party at Athleta. Now that’s a pretty good reason to team up with the community for some sun salutations, don’t you think?
More from FITNESS:
- Yoga’s Surprising Health Benefits
- Blast 500+ Calories Doing Yoga
- Mind Over Manners: Yoga Class Etiquette
Written on September 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm , by Colleen Travers
Here’s a fun fitness fact: September is National Yoga Month! To celebrate, Lululemon Athletica has created Salutation Nation, an international day of yoga for everyone in every city to grab a mat and join in on a free session led by local instructors. The purpose of the event is to bring yogis of all levels together to breathe, stretch, and connect locally.
The event begins at 9 a.m. your local time on Saturday, September 10. To participate, select your city from the drop down box here and see where your area is practicing. Check out some of the highlights from last year’s session below to get excited.
More from FITNESS: