Guest post written by Kelly Mickle
Ever wish you had a personal chef to deliver diet-friendly meals right to your home? Us too! That’s why we had to catch up with Jillian Michaels at her recent event at the W Residences in Hollywood to get the skinny on her new partnership with Freshology, a food delivery program that brings gourmet, calorie-controlled meals straight to your door.
“I’ve been wanting to get involved with something like this for a long time, but either the food sucked or it was packed with unhealthy preservatives,” says Michaels. “It’s not just calories, the quality of the food matters when it comes to health and weight loss—which is why I really clicked with the Freshology’s commitment to fresh, clean food.”
Teaming up with Freshology’s five-star chef, Michaels used her nutrition principles to create a total weight loss plan that delivers healthy, wholesome and delicious food with no preservatives, no hormones, no artificial sweeteners and no trans fats. On the program, you’ll receive a twice weekly delivery stocked with daily meals totaling 1,400 to 1,800 calories: breakfast (240-475 calories), lunch (230-470 calories), dinner (303-536 calories) and a dessert. The 28-day rotation ensures you’ll never experience taste bud boredom. And all the food is pre-cooked, chilled and ready to go, so at the very most all you have to do is zap it in the microwave. For added thinspiration, you’ll also get Michaels’s fitness DVDs, texts to keep you motivated and a copy of her book, Master Your Metabolism.
We got to sample the menu and must say we were impressed! From blueberry pancakes and a chicken salad sandwich to steak and chocolate cheesecake, we licked our plates—definitely not like diet food. It’s no wonder the fancy food delivery program is a celeb favorite and has become the diet of choice for the contestants on Dancing with the Stars. “It eliminates all the guesswork—no more journaling or calorie counting—so all you have to do is stick to the meals and the pounds will come off,” says Michaels.
The Jillian Michaels Freshology Gold program starts at $48 a day, and can be modified for vegetarians and picky eaters. It’s not cheap, but worth the investment according to Michaels: “It sounds expensive but in the grand scheme of things it’s a bargain—you want to know what’s expensive? Obesity!”
Rocco DiSpirito has had one busy year. The James Beard Award-winning celebrity chef launched his Bravo reality show Rocco’s Dinner Party, released his Now Eat This! Diet cookbook in March and today his latest book, Now Eat This! 100 Quick Calorie Cuts goes on sale. The FITNESS advisory board member knows weight loss: He dropped 20 pounds training for a triathlon and has kept them off for more than two years.
We asked DiSpirito to share a few of his top tips that offer a taste of all that you can savor in his new book.
Get the Scoop
DIY frozen yogurt and ice cream bars are all the rage, but topping with reckless abandon can lead to a much heftier indulgence than you were expecting! Follow this cheat sheet from DiSpirito of goodies to resist and enjoy. (All calories based on 1/2-ounce scoop of toppings, except cinnamon.)
Shake Some Flavor
- Resist: Chocolate sprinkles (64 calories)
- Enjoy: Dash of cinnamon (0 calories)
Pour it On
- Resist: Hot fudge topping (99 calories)
- Enjoy: Fat-free fudge (40 calories)
Crush Creaming Cravings
- Resist: Walnuts in syrup (127 calories)
- Enjoy: Whipped topping (18 calories)
- Resist: Gummy bears (38 calories)
- Enjoy: Blueberries or cherries (7 calories)
Tote Smart Snacks
We’ve all had those times when our stomachs rumble while we’re stranded far away from our well-stocked fridge and healthy snack stockpile. DiSpirito says that you can save cash and calories by carrying your own 100-calorie snacks rather than relying on store-bought ones (or a supersize cupcake from the bakery down the block). Some suggestions:
- 12 to 15 almonds
- 10 walnut halves
- 2 cups reduced-fat popcorn
- 6 dried apricots
- 12 mini cheddar rice cakes
- 10 baked corn chips
- 1 Now Eat This! Diet Red Velvet Chocolate Square
- 2 Now Eat This! Diet PBJ Cookies
New York City and much of the Northeast U.S. was walloped with another snow storm last night–leaving about 19 additional inches of snow around Central Park and outside my front door! Weather like this leaves me craving certain dishes for dinner…It’s comfort food time, folks. Here are my six go-to cozy meals created for days like today. Bonus: All have fewer than 375 calories per serving!
- 5 Factor Lasagna: A meat-free take on the Italian treat, substituting eggplant in place of pasta for an extra veggie serving. (315 calories, 3 g fat)
- Chickpea Soup with Spinach and Tomato: Warm up with a creamy, protein-packed bowl. Hummus is the secret ingredient in this quick cooking recipe! (228 calories, 12 g fat)
Chipotle Veggie Chili: Your pot will be filled produce at its peak during winter, like sweet potatoes, parsnips and butternut squash. (369 calories, 9 g fat)
- Gooey Grilled Cheese: This isn’t your mom’s American on white bread. Sliced pears give these sandwiches grown up flair. (296 calories, 13 g fat)
- Mac and Cheese Lite: Celebrity chef and triathlete Rocco Dispirito’s lightened up version of everyone’s favorite school lunch side. (237 calories, 7 g fat)
- Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes: Who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner? These fluffy pancakes taste fantastic, even sans-syrup.(238 calories, 8 g fat)
What is your go-to comfort food dish?