Written on May 25, 2012 at 2:57 pm , by Karla Walsh
This week’s fit links from around the web:
- Pies, popsicles, pina coladas and more! Sweeten up the season with these light desserts. — Skinny Taste
- Save up to 1,180 calories by making just one of these 24 smart swaps while dining out. — Family Circle
- Roll with it! Here are six ways to loosen up with your foam roller, then find more ideas on page 54 of our June issue. — Fitnessista
- Say cheers to Memorial Day and the start of summer with this refreshing red, white and blue sangria. — Diets in Review
- Prefer walking to running? No sweat. You can still burn major calories with this incline routine. — Peanut Butter Fingers
- Whether you think racing is a sport or not, here’s a highlight of the women in this weekend’s Indy 500. — OC Register
Written on May 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm , by Christie Griffin
Whether you’re hosting a big family brunch or just gabbing with mom, why not celebrate her with a little imbibing? These low-cal and gourmet drink recipes, thanks to Patrón Spirits, sound delicious, don’t you think…?
The Good Wife - Low-Calorie
- 2 ounces Patrón Silver
- 1/2 ounces Ginger simple syrup
- 1/2 ounces Lime juice
- Seltzer or mineral water
- 3 to 4 mint leaves
- 2 to 3 peeled fresh cucumber rounds, skins removed
In a highball or collins glass, muddle cucumber, lime juice, and mint. Add Patrón Silver and fill with ice. Cover with seltzer and stir well. Garnish with a mint sprig and cucumber rounds.
Mother’s Little Helper – Low-Calorie
- 1 3/4 ounces Patrón Silver
- 1/4 ounces Elderflower liqueur
- 3/4 ounces Fresh lime juice
- 3 slices Cucumber
- 2 whole fresh sage leaves
- Ginger ale
Smack sage to open up aromas. Tear in two and muddle well with cucumber and elderflower liqueur. In a mixing glass, add remaining ingredients and ice. Shake and strain over ice in a highball glass. Top with ginger ale. Garnish with cucumber and sage leaf.
I Said So Martini – Gourmet
- 2 ounces Patrón XO Cafe Dark Cocoa
- 0.5 ounces Amaretto Liqueur
- 1 ounces Cream
- Almond shavings for garnish
Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with almond shavings.
Sealed with an XO – Gourmet
- 3 ounces Patrón XO Cafe Dark Cocoa
- 1 ounces. Espresso
- 1 large scoop coffee-flavored gelato
- Coffee grinds for garnish
Blend all ingredients in a blender and pour into a hurricane-style glass. Garnish with coffee grinds.
For more drink recipes and ideas, visit patronspirits.com.
Written on March 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm , by Christie Griffin
Between the warm(er than usual) weather and March Madness, we’re feeling a little nostalgic for Spring Break in college! So we scored a couple cocktail recipes from Bryan Dayton, the owner and Beverage Director at OAK at Fourteenth in Boulder, Colorado…including a non-alcoholic one, for those of you who gave up booze for Lent/New Year’s/Who Knows Why.
Before we hand over the happy hour inspiration, you should know whom it’s coming from. Bryan hasn’t just been a mixologist for 15 years—he’s also a trail runner (the higher the altitude, the better) with an incredible race resume. Nice!
My Little Honey
- 1.5 oz gin
- .5 oz honey syrup (1:1 honey to hot water)
- .5 oz fresh lemon juice
- Soda water
To make: Pour all ingredients over crushed ice, give a quick stir and garnish with a lemon.
- 2 slices of cucumber
- 2 quarter wedges of lime
- 1.5 oz gin or vodka
- .25 oz honey syrup
To make: Muddle all of the above together in a mixing tin and then add ice. Shake. Fine-strain over crushed ice and then garnish with a slice of cucumber. Idea: Substitute berries for the cucumber, if you want something fruity!
The Summer Smash (Non Alcoholic)
- 2 slices of cucumber
- 6 mint leaves
- 1 mint sprig
- .5 oz lime
- .25 oz honey syrup
- 3 oz soda water
To make: Muddle mint and cucumber in a mixing tin. Add all the ingredients, except for the soda water. Add ice, shake and strain into a highball glass with ice. Finally, pour in soda water and give it a quick stir. Garnish with mint sprig.
Traditional Margarita on the Rocks
- 1.5 oz Reposado tequila
- .75 oz orange liqueur
- .75 oz fresh lime juice
To make: Put all ingredients into a shaker, add ice and shake. Pour over fresh ice in a short tumbler and garnish with lime. Salt is optional.