Written on February 11, 2013 at 2:35 pm , by Colleen Moody
Here at the FITNESS offices, we firmly believe that the couple who sweats together stays together. From the looks of it, Hollywood’s A-list agrees! Below, our favorite fit celebrity couples, keeping their bods and bonds hotter than ever:
1. Julianne Hough and Ryan Seacrest – Though their schedules couldn’t be more jam-packed, the pair still finds time to make good use of their time together. Recently spotted on vacation in St. Bart’s, the couple took to paddleboarding instead of the usual vacation itinerary of margarita drinking and sunbathing.
2. Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds – These newlyweds have been hitting the gym together since their very early days of dating. Because if you were married to Ryan Reynolds, wouldn’t you be inspired to spend as much time together in spandex as possible?
3. Jenna Dewan-Tatum and Channing Tatum – Pregnancy isn’t going to slow down this girl. The celebs, who danced into each other’s hearts on the set of Step Up, are staying active during Dewan-Tatum’s pregnancy by kayaking and hiking with their dogs.
4. Rachel Weisz and Daniel Craig – Being Bond comes with the added pressure of being in secret service shape. Good thing Craig’s wife, Weisz, heads to the gym with him for support.
5. Camila Alves and Matthew McConaughey – The beach life suits these two well, as they make sure to take advantage of all their favorite outdoor activities together like surfing, hiking, and running.
6. Fergie and Josh Duhamel – It’s not all fun and games for this running duo. Duhamel has admitted in the past that Fergie is quite competitive when it comes to working out, making the pair squeak out one more mile or rep almost every time they sweat together.
7. Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber - Known for squeezing in a run during breaks on set, Watts has been photographed a few times jogging ahead of Schreiber, leaving him to catch up. Who run the world? Girls!
8. Emily Blunt and John Krasinski - They hike. They gym it. They’re just plain adorable, right?
9. Vanessa Lachey and Nick Lachey -The new parents completed the Roselyn Sanchez Triathlon For Life in 2010…but now that they have a little bundle of joy, they’ve slowed things done a bit with regular walks toting their son.
10. Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer – Catching these two working out together is almost as sexy as their vampire antics. They love to bike, hit the gym and even take a stab at outdoor gymnastic rings!
11. Rebecca Romijn and Jerry O’Connell – The Past FITNESS cover girl told us all about her hot yoga workout, so it’s no surprise that she and her hubby frequently do Bikram yoga together.
12. Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth – Witherspoon is constantly snapped lacing up her sneaks and we’re so happy that she now has a forever running buddy with her agent-husband Jim Toth.
13. Jessica Biel and Justin Timberlake – By far one of the fittest couples out there, these two do it all: biking, hiking, running, surfing. We’re looking forward to see where their fitness feats take them as Mr. and Mrs.!
14. BFF SPOTLIGHT! Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Garner – America’s sweethearts are battling their sweet tooth cravings together, helping each other lose the baby weight since the births of their children last year. They pair up for Pilates classes together and practice the buddy system when it comes getting back into pre-baby shape. P.S. – Extra credit to Reese for making our list twice!
More from FITNESS: The Hottest Celebrity Bodies of 2012
Written on February 8, 2013 at 10:00 am , by Colleen Moody
It’s no wonder February is considered the month of love. According to the National Association of Bridal Consultants, it is also officially National Wedding Month–due to the number of couples who start planning for the big day. And with an estimated one million couples who got engaged over the holidays, you might be one of them! If you’re planning a summer wedding, check out this move of the month plan from Stephanie Walker and Sarah Ashenden, personal trainers from Fitness Formula Clubs, located in Chicago. To start, they recommend strength training for 30 minutes twice a week along with 30 minutes of cardio 3-5 days per week. Get started with the first move below and then add on a different exercise each month.
February: Triceps Dip
Since you’ll be standing with your back to all your guests for your ceremony, you want the back of your arms to look sleek and toned. Sit on a weight bench with legs slightly bent, feet flat on floor. Place hands on bench by thighs and press palms into the bench to lift your butt. Slide your butt off edge and bend elbows to drop hips 3 inches from floor. Straighten arms and slide hips back without sitting down. Repeat 8 to 10 times for 3 reps. Read more
Written on February 7, 2013 at 9:02 am , by Colleen Moody
The Fiscal Cliff may have come and gone, but according to Gold’s Gym, February 7 is considered to be the “Fitness Cliff”–the day those New Year Resolutions start to go astray and goals slowly start heading toward the back burner.
Gold’s studied check-in patterns at gym locations around the country over a three-year period to establish this cliff. After the initial gym craze around January 1, they noticed a gradual decline in check-ins beginning January 30, with the biggest drop happening on February 7. To help keep you from falling off the edge, Dr. Belisa Vranich, author and clinical psychologist created these five warning signs that your resolutions may be slipping:
- You suddenly find yourself too busy to get to the gym as often as when you first started.
- You’re getting angry that the effort you’re making to work out and eat healthy aren’t equaling the results you’d like to see in the mirror.
- You find yourself less motivated and begin to wonder why you made this goal in the first place.
- You slowly start to ease back into old patterns, trading treadmill time for the TV and in caving into your usual guilty pleasures.
- You start arguing with yourself that you don’t really need to change, convincing yourself that you’ll make a better effort next year.
Do one or more of these points sound like you? Get back on track with these tips from Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute expert and celebrity trainer Mike Ryan: Read more
Written on February 6, 2013 at 10:36 am , by Colleen Moody
It’s no secret that Under Armour has had some pretty inspiring and star-studded campaigns in the past. Now the brand is bringing on a little more awesome, kick butt attitude with former martial arts fighter Gina Carano, who will be featured in the brand’s campaigns this year. “I’ve always been an advocate of people taking care of themselves and living a healthy lifestyle,” Carano says about the new partnership. “The Under Armour brand expresses that in such an innovative way, and the people there are so welcoming, I immediately felt like part of the family, which isn’t the norm as a female coming from a martial arts background. I’ve always been different, but with these guys I feel like I fit right in!”
Carano trains in Under Armour products regularly, but her recent go-to product is one that surprised her. “I can’t believe I’m admitting this, but I’ve gotten into the yoga pants! I never thought I would be a yoga pants type of girl, I used to wear old sweats or board shorts to train in but now I’m obsessed with the tighter stuff. They just hug in all the right spots.” (Editor’s Note: We so hear you.)
Though she’s spending more time on the silver screen than in the ring, she still hits the weight room pretty regularly to train. “I like to switch it up every day, but hitting pads and weight training will always be part of my life. I consider that like my yoga. I also recently got into running and hiking and actual Bikram yoga for mental toughness. And I’m also trying to exercise outside as much as possible, since the majority of my life I’ve been in gyms. I’ve been traveling a ton, but now that I’m back I’ll start training with a stunt group again and I’ll have some time to set my goals for this year. I feel like I always work best when I have my goals written down and mapped out for me.”
Keep an eye out for Carano in Fast and Furious 6, out in May!
More from FITNESS: Gina Carano on Stunts and Her Sexy Co-Stars
Written on February 4, 2013 at 3:49 pm , by Colleen Moody
Sure, we love dressing up as much as the next gal–but when we’re asked to go to a red carpet event in our spandex and sneakers, it’s pretty much a fitness editor’s dream come true. And that’s exactly what we did this weekend at the Fitness Gala 2013, benefitting Mariska Hargitay’s charity, the Joyful Hearts Foundation.
Between mingling with stars like Smash‘s Megan Hilty, who hosted the event, celebrity bartender Ryan Serhant of Million Dollar Listing (and yup, he’s as hunky off-screen as he is on) and noshing on healthy and delicious bites from celebrity chef and author of Cook Yourself Sexy Candice Kumai, we were in healthy living heaven.
But let’s not forget about the workout! Dasha Libin, creator of Kettlebell Kickboxing led a 45-minute master class for over 100 women who were excited to squat and swing to take a stand against sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse. True story: There was even a Gangnam Style-inspired move. Check out some pictures from the event below.
Written on January 31, 2013 at 9:00 am , by Colleen Moody
Whether you’re excited for the game, Beyoncé, or just an excuse to throw a party on a Sunday night, the Super Bowl is just around the corner. New York Giants Quarterback Eli Manning (you may have heard of him a time or two, especially this time last year?) is teaming up with Kinect for Xbox360 and NFL Play 60 for the 60 Million Minutes Challenge, to recruit one million kids across the country to pledge to be active for 60 minutes each day. According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, more than a third of American children and adolescents are obese or overweight, and with Kinect for Xbox 360, families can get off the couch and get in exercise without it feeling like a chore. We chatted with Manning, who is in his hometown New Orleans for the Super Bowl on the campaign, and how he keeps his own family active.
Tell us about the 60 Million Minutes Challenge with NFL Play 60 and Kinect for Xbox360. Why was it important for you to get involved in this?
I love the concept of getting kids to make it a priority to exercise for 60 minutes a day. It’s easy in the summer and when the weather is warm, but now that it’s winter and it’s dark and cold out activity levels can really drop. With Xbox360 Kinect, kids can still play beach volleyball or track and field or whatever else they love to do inside. We clearly have a problem in this country with obesity, and I hate to see kids who aren’t healthy and missing school because of their health issues. I also want to get kids out and running around above all else because it’s fun! It’s fun to be a kid and play outside with your friends or parents or grandparents. The more active kids are with others, the more it won’t seem like exercise. Read more
Written on January 30, 2013 at 1:00 pm , by Colleen Moody
It may not feel like it right now, but spring will be here before you know it. If you’re training for a race (like the MORE/FITNESS Half-Marathon in April!) then you know that what you eat is just as important to how many miles you log. To help you reach your goal, Molly Morgan RD, CDN, CSSD and the nutritionist for the Ottawa Senators NHL team shared with us her tips on how to fuel up before, after and during those weekend long runs.
Spring race season is coming up! What are some tips for runners who are beginning to train for a race?
One of the biggest things I recommend is focusing on hydration. Our bodies are made up of 50-70 percent water and being properly hydrated is so important in the performance and recovery stages. So to start, runners should increase their base fluid intake.
What are the rules for hydrating before, during and after a run?
Before a game, or run, or whatever sport you’re doing you should try to drink 16 ounces of water two hours beforehand. Depending on how much you sweat, try to get in another eight to 16 ounces about 15 minutes before heading out the door. During is always the tricky part. Try to get about 6 ounces of water every 15 to 20 minutes if you’re doing a longer workout. Don’t rely on thirst as an indicator, and do your best to schedule hydration stops as much as you’re able to. After your run, you should drink 16 to 24 ounces of water for every pound you lost. Obviously, we don’t all jump on a scale before and after a workout so you just have to use your best judgment. Hydrating afterwards doesn’t have to be instantaneous though, as long as you’re getting the fluids you need within six hours of your run, you’re in good shape. Read more
Written on January 28, 2013 at 4:00 pm , by Colleen Moody
Red carpet season is in full swing, so it’s pretty perfect that the Fitness Gala 2013 is this weekend. Come in your best fitness-ready red carpet outfit (our kind of red carpet!) and work up with sweat with a Kettlebell Kickboxing master class, taught by the creator of the program Dasha Libin. After class, treat yourself to cocktails, brunch and a silent auction, with all proceeds, including ticket sales, benefitting Mariska Hargitay’s charity, the Joyful Hearts Foundation. The foundation raises awareness for sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse in addition to helping survivors reclaim their lives.
Aside from supporting a good cause, all attendees will be entered to win a VIP gift bag that includes a 1-year Kettlebell Kickboxing gym membership, at-home training sessions and tons more. Smash star Megan Hilty will be there as well, snapping pics in the photo booth for anyone who loves a camera opp.
Fitness Gala 2013 will take place from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 2, 2013 at Studio 450 (450 W. 31st St. NY, NY 10001). General admission is $125. To RSVP or make a donation in your absence, click here.
Written on January 24, 2013 at 10:35 am , by Colleen Moody
Feeling a little stuffy lately? You’re not alone. Cold and flu season is hitting hard this year. “I have a household full of sick children!” past cover girl Brooke Burke-Charvet told us today, as we chatted with her about her partnership with Kleenex’s Softness Worth Sharing initiative. As part of the campaign, she surprised one very lucky guy with a care package full of hand sanitizer, a blanket, Kleenex tissues and lip balm to wish them a speedy recovery (select cities can nominate someone they know at the Kleenex Facebook page to receive a similar care package). We chatted with the Dancing with the Stars host chatted on how she stays healthy in a house full of sniffles and coughing, plus how she’s doing post thyroid surgery.
What made you want to get involved with this Kleenex campaign?
As a mom, I have Kleenex tissues all over the place. Those little packs are in my car, the kids’ backpacks, everywhere. It’s really important to use great products when you’re feeling under the weather. As for this initiative, I love the sentiment of it. It’s just so thoughtful and sweet, and would really make anyone feel better faster.
How are you protecting yourself and your family this cold and flu season?
Lots of hand washing and sanitizing, that’s really my biggest thing. I make sure the kids are drinking lots of fluids and sneezing into their arms instead of on someone else. It’s tough because colds are everywhere in school, so washing their hands is really crucial. Read more
Written on January 18, 2013 at 3:00 pm , by Colleen Moody
Obstacle races are hot to trot for lately, and among one of the most popular is the Spartan Race, which will have you rolling, crawling and climbing your way to the finish line. Now, one of the trendiest races has teamed up with Reebok, one of the trendiest brands, announcing a multi-year partnership with Spartan Race yesterday in NYC.
The partnership will start with the January 26 Spartan Race at Vail Lake Resort in Temecula, CA. Reebok will be the official footwear, apparel and accessories supplier for the race series, including a line of products specifically for Spartan Race athletes to help them train better, faster and stronger.
To kick off the partnership, Reebok hosted the Reebok Spartan Race Times Square Challenge, a traffic-stopping race. Celebs like model Brooklyn Decker, former Giants football player Tiki Barber and 2012 winner of the obstacle course of the Reebok CrossFit Games Spencer Hendel climbed a 7 foot wall, mud crawled under barb wire and carried 75 pound sandbags through the heart of NYC to put their fitness limits to the test.
Look out for the obstacle race to be featured in Reebok’s next campaign, and set a date for your 2013 Spartan Race at www.spartanrace.com.
Now tell us: Have you ever done a Spartan Race?