Written on January 1, 2014 at 7:30 am , by Guest Blogger
FITNESS has teamed up with Gilt to bring you up to 60 percent off the best workout clothes and gear. Shop the sale at gilt.com/fitness starting January 1. Here, check out the go-to pieces Tracey Lomrantz Lester, the women’s editorial director of Gilt, chooses for looking stylish while working out.
Fitness is a really important part of my life. I’m prone to being a stress case, so I love the opportunity to turn everything off and sweat it all out. Here’s a peek at my best get-sweaty looks.
Bikram is my therapy! I aim to get to the studio three mornings a week, usually on my busiest weekdays so that I can get centered before the crazy comes. I think my most productive workouts are my sweatiest ones, and there is no lack of that when you spend 90 minutes in a 105-degree room. I keep my wardrobe minimal so the laundry isn’t as daunting; a sports bra and little boogie shorts do the trick.
I do most of my spinning on the weekends, because that’s when the class times are most convenient for me. I love to do a 9am on a Saturday–it makes me feel energized all day (and a little less guilty for that second martini on Saturday night). My go-to gear is a long bike pant and a tank top with a built-in sports bra. I like something streamlined so it doesn’t get in the way of my ride.
Cardio at the Gym
When I can’t commit to a class time or am in a crunch, I’ll head to my gym for some cardio and light weights. I like 45 minutes on the stair climber or elliptical, usually in running shorts and an old college T-shirt swiped from my husband’s drawer.
Even in the colder months, I love getting a little fresh air when I exercise. I live close to Central Park, so I take my bike around the 6-mile loop once or twice. They key is to layer up so you don’t freeze your butt off! I usually wear my bike pants, a sweat-wicking top, a zip-up jacket, and a fleece or a vest on top.
Written on April 27, 2012 at 10:17 am , by Marla Horenbein
We got you hooked on colored denim last season, and while it is still a hot trend (we can’t get enough hot pink and yellow!), we’re totally swooning over printed jeans for the spring. Floral, ikat and tie-dye prints are all over the place, and they are a great way to jazz up a casual look. Keep the look simple by pairing a solid colored top (this denim shirt is a great option!) with cute flats or sandals, or if you feel like being super daring, you can try mixing and matching prints, like these jeans with this top. Make sure that one print is less understated than the other—two overwhelming prints paired together can create quite the fashion disaster!
Here are some of our favorite prints, in prices that are both budge-friendly and splurge-worthy!
From top left:
- Paige Denim, $250
- Madewell, $135
- Citizens of Humanity, $339
- Current/Elliott, $170
- J Brand Jeans, $205
- TopShop, $80
- Dorothy Perkins, $55
- See by Chloe, $335
Written on January 27, 2012 at 10:12 am , by Marla Horenbein
It is usually around this time of year—after all of the fun holiday festivities are over and the new year has settled in—that winter goes from fab to drab. The twinkling lights of Christmas trees dwindle, all of the yummy treats have been eaten and the cold, unwanted winter air sticks around for much longer than many of us would like. And dare I say SNOW—thinking about it makes me cringe! If you are feeling like winter is getting the best of you, fear no more. I have the cure: Fun, colorful pieces to brighten up those winter blues!
- After hitting the weights to work off all of those cookies you ate during the holidays, swipe on some of this Bobbi Brown lip gloss in cosmic pink. It will instantly brighten your face for a fun and fresh look.
- Did your New Year’s resolution of working out more fail after only a few days? Run out of your rut by trying out these awesome neon green Saucony sneaks which will be sure to put a little pep in your step.
- Does your iPhone lack some spunk? We’re totally digging this bright green Incipio phone case.
- Be proud of your sexy, toned arms and rock some wrist-candy like this technicolor Dannijo bracelet. It’s super fun, don’t you think?
- Break away from the boring black sports bra, by trying something in a cool color or print. This girly and fun heart-printed bra from Forever 21 is most definitely a winner in our books.
- Attention all surfers! We’ve found the perfect tide watch (it’s Nixon!) to brighten your surf sessions.
- There are tons of iPad and tablet cases out there on the market, but we love the sporty yet fashionable take on the Marc by Marc Jacobs version. And it’s neoprene! What could be better than that?!
- Tote all your stuff to the gym in a Puma bag that’s roomy enough for all of the essentials.
- Wearing these sunny yellow Sperry TopSider boat shoes on a dreary day will have you wishing it was summer more than ever. A girl can dream can’t she?
Written on January 20, 2012 at 9:44 am , by Marla Horenbein
Earlier this week the fashion and beauty departments teamed up to shoot one of our April beauty features (get ready for some amazing spring makeup!) and we put a cool tribal spin on it to showcase one of our favorite spring fashion trends. We all had such a blast at the photo shoot, playing around with fun prints, bright colors and tons of sky-high, stacked heels. You’ll have to wait until our April issue hits newsstands in mid-March to see the final outcome, but until then, here is a little sneak peek of our day, with some behind the scenes footage!
Click here to see how to trick out your own wardrobe in tribal prints!
Written on January 13, 2012 at 9:46 am , by Melissa Freeswick
Earlier this month here on The Fit Stop, you heard about Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month. One of the best ways to look like you know your way around the slopes? Dress like a pro! Here are our picks for gear that will make you look like a champ—regardless of your winter sport of choice.
Snowboard (Top row, left to right)
- Volcom Domestic Ins Jacket ($230, snow.volcom.com)
- Burton Women’s Lucky Pant ($150, burton.com)
- Thirty Two Prion Boots ($140, thirtytwo.com)
- Dragon Alliance White/ Gold Ion Goggles ($95, dragonalliance.com)
Ski (Bottom row, left to right)
- Spyder Prevail Jacket ($250, spyder.com)
- Helly Hansen W Blanche Pant ($225, shop.hellyhansen.com)
- Full Tilt Soul Sister Ski Boots ($500, fulltiltboots.com)
- Gretchen Bleiler Signature Series Oakley Stockholm Goggle ($140, oakley.com)
Written on September 2, 2011 at 10:42 am , by Marla Horenbein
As the summer comes to an unfortunate end, it’s time to pack up your bikinis, short shorts and flip-flops for another year, and pull out your cozy sweaters, wool skirts, and boots. Even though summer is over, a brand new season full of new beginnings starts- another year of school, a new job, or even a new workout plan- and of course, new fashion trends to look forward to! Hey, saying goodbye to summer doesn’t have to be so sad- it gives you a reason to go shopping!
This fall, we are loving all shades of blue. From handbags to headbands, and corduroys to cocktail dresses, you can find the perfect piece to make your wardrobe pop! Here are some of our back-to-school favorites:
1. J Brand Riviera Blue Low Rise Pencil Leg Pants $230
2. Elizabeth and James Paris Popover Blue Metallic Jacquard Blouse $325
3. Marcia Moran Large Blue Dusty Oval Ring $212
4. Top Shop Blue Curved Hem Pleated Skirt $70
5. Current & Elliot The Navy Blue High-Rise Wide-Leg Jeans $195
6. Deborah Lippmann I Know What Boys Like Blue Nailpolish $16
7. Top Shop Petite Blue Shirt $50
8. Kate Spade Blue Lynx Necklace $178
9. Madewell The Canvas Transport Blue Tote $55
10. Tory Burch Eddie Blue Flats $180
Written on July 8, 2011 at 10:00 am , by Marla Horenbein
It’s time to tap into your innerchild and revert to your 10-year-old ways. Whether you were the coolest kid on the block or a little book worm, everyone had a best friend growing up. Or if you were like me, you had 20 best friends because every other week someone new filled that special role. And what better way to show the world that you are BFFs than to slap a handmade string bracelet onto your arm?
Friendship bracelets are back, and I have to tell you, they are better than ever. Designers all across the board, from mall friendly stores like American Eagle and BP at Nordstrom to big name designers like Venessa Arizaga and Links of London, are bringing back this popular trend, in a much more adult-friendly way! I personally like to stack a few together and mix in a watch for a chunky, colorful look. What do you think?
Here are some of our favorites:
1. Henri Bendel, $58, henribendel.com
2. Kris Nations, $45, maxandchloe.com
3. Dannijo, $48, dannijo.com
4. Julie Rolfman, $95, julierolfmanjewelry.com
5. Ettika, $40, maxandchloe.com