Written on May 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm , by Karla Walsh
This week’s fit links from around the web:
- Don’t just sit there. Deskercise! Here are 33 moves to help you shape up in the office. — Greatist
- If you’re bored with a typical 5K, one of these 10 wacky races (think zombies, obstacles or nudity!) may be perfectly suited for your adventurous nature. — Healthy Tipping Point
- Some of the best bargains in the supermarket can be found in the healthiest aisles. Really! —USA Today
- How well do you know fitness-related films? Test your knowledge with our editor in chief, Betty, as she visits Hoda and Kathie Lee. — Today Show
- No gym—or equipment—is required for this fun circuit workout. That means there’s no reason to skip it! — Blogilates
- You hereby have our permission to eat a banana split for breakfast. Kids of all ages will love these! — Peas and Thank You
Written on September 13, 2011 at 10:47 am , by Colleen Moody
There’s a reason some gyms are open 24 hours a day—no two exercisers are alike. But whether you prefer mornings or nights to burn calories you might want to consider another option — exercising during lunch.
According to this Science Daily study, people who exercise during work not only get to cross off their work out on their daily to do list, they are also more productive at work even though they technically logged less hours.
The study followed three workplaces’ productivity levels with and without exercise. One group was asked to get in 2.5 hours of physical activity during the week, one group had the option of working fewer hours without the obligation of exercising, and the last group worked a standard 40-hour work week. The results showed that the group who exercised at work were more productive and even had fewer sick days than the two groups who did not exercise.
Though not all workplaces permit this option, you can use your lunch break to take a walk with a coworker or even do some stretches at your desk if you can’t make it to a gym. So the next time you find yourself perusing Facebook during your down time, do something that gets your heart pumping instead!
Now tell us: Do you ever exercise during your lunch break?
More from FITNESS:
- Quickie Moves to Beat Desk Job Drain
- 5 Ways to Get Rid of Job-Related Jiggle
- How to Strength Train Your Brain