Written on January 4, 2013 at 9:44 am , by Karla Walsh
Now that the holiday season has passed, we’re experiencing a bit of cabin fever. Not all of us can jet off for a warm-weather getaway, but we can all take a trip to the kitchen to whip up meals that take our taste buds on a trip around the globe! Lindsay Nixon, author of the new book Happy Herbivore Abroad, shared two low-fat, vegan recipes to help us do just that.
Lentil Taco Meat
“I got this idea from one of my fans and now we make lentil tacos (or burritos, or enchiladas!) at least once a week. Use brown- or the greenish-colored lentils here, not red or yellow,” Nixon suggests.
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 2 tablespoosn ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime (juice)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (granulated)
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder (granulated)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- nondairy milk (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- Pulse warm lentils in a food processor or blender until chopped up or pureed (your choice).
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Taste, adding salt or pepper as desired, plus a splash of nondairy milk or a touch of salsa if the mixture looks dry.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories 137, Total Fat 1.1g, Carbohydrates 23.9g, Fiber 9g, Sugars 3.9g, Protein 9.9g
Written on October 14, 2011 at 2:19 pm , by Christie Griffin
Update 10/17/11: We have a winner! Congrats to Elizabeth from Walnut Creek, California! Thanks to everyone who entered!
In the October issue of FITNESS, there’s a delicious, slimmed-down version of French Onion Soup that clocks in at just 266 calories per serving. In case you missed it,
we’re defriending you. you can still get your hands on the recipe created by Meg Galvin, World Master Chef and Healthy Cooking Expert at SparkPeople.com, in the brand-new book, The SparkPeople Cookbook: Love Your Food, Lose the Weight. SparkRecipes.com Editor Stepfanie Romie worked with Meg and the rest of the Spark team to pull together a thick collection of light-and-healthy recipes, like:
- Skinny Eggs Florentine
- Lifesaving Lentil Soup
- Bluegrass Jambalaya
- Spicy Turkey Mini Meatloaves
- Key Lime Tartlets
- And more!
That’s all good news, right? Now for the great news: We’re giving away one of the cookbooks to a lucky reader this weekend! All you have to do is click here to answer a quick question and enter your contact info. We won’t use your info for anything else and we’ll announce on Monday morning who the lucky cookbook recipient is!