Written on November 23, 2012 at 10:00 am , by Marla Horenbein
We’ve eaten our turkey, devoured our pumpkin pie, and slept it all off , so what’s there left to do? Shopping of course! If the Black Friday madness isn’t your thing (don’t worry its not ours either!), you can still get your shop on from the comfort of your own home! All it takes is a few clicks, and voila! You’ve got holiday goodies for your friends and family, and maybe even for yourself too!
Now the question is, what to buy? The staffers here at FITNESS are all hoping to find something techy under the tree (or menorah!) this year. Here’s what’s on their wish lists:
- Nutrition Editor Juno DeMelo, Senior Editor Bethany Gumper and Editorial Assistant Lauren Cardarelli are all wanting a Garmin watch, like the Forerunner 10, to track their miles, burned calories, and speed/pace, while they train for their next big races. We love that it comes in fun colors, and the best part is, it’s super easy to use!
- Having trouble sleeping at night? This awesome Renew Sleepclock monitors your breathing and sleeping patterns using a non-contact sensor while you sleep. Pretty cool huh? All you have to do is download the app to your iOS device, pop it in the docking station, and sleep. When you wake up you’ll have you’re sleep stats! Our Senior Editor Lisa Haney already owns one and can’t wait to get one for a certain sleepyhead on her Christmas list!
Written on November 23, 2012 at 7:00 am , by FITNESS Intern
Written by Deanna Cioppa, editorial intern
Ah, Black Friday – the magical day when shoppers all over the country flood the stores for 24 hours, desperate for the perfect gift for a loved one. Carb-loaded on turkey and pie, they hit the stores, ready to brace themselves for retail madness and nab deep discounts. Why not make the most of the craziness and start working off some of that stuffing?
Celebrity trainer Ilyse Baker works with FitOrbit, an online lifestyle, nutrition and fitness program, to help clients get into shape from the comfort of their own home. She’s given us some of her top tips to help you shop till you drop – the weight, that is! Try these simple moves while you’re waiting in line to check out, in the dressing room, or waiting for your family in the parking lot. Sales and fitness? Sounds like heaven!
Stuck outside the dressing room? Take a moment to strengthen your lower body.
- Start with legs hip-width apart, knees slightly bent, toes facing forward.
- Push butt back and slowly bend knees to lower toward floor, like sitting in a chair. Keep weight on heels and make sure knees don’t go over toes.
- Slowly return to starting position, squeezing glutes as you rise. Repeat.
- Perform 3 sets of 12.
Bag Buff Arms
Chisel those biceps with all of your new goodies!
- Start with arms by sides with 1 bag in each hand, palms facing up.
- Bend elbows to curl bag toward shoulders, counting to two while lifting and two while lowering.
- Repeat 2 times, then lift for one count and lower for one count.
- Repeat 2 times.
Carve Sexy Calves
The turkey isn’t the only thing you can carve this holiday! Work on sculpting awesome calves while waiting in the check-out line.
- Stand straight with feet hip-width apart.
- Rise on the balls of feet, lifting heels off the floor.
- Lower heels back to floor. Repeat.
- Perform 3 sets of 10. On the 10th rep, hold heels off floor for 8 counts for a balance challenge, then slowly lower back to floor.
Now you tell us: How do you stay fit during the holidays?