Written on March 16, 2012 at 3:41 pm , by Karla Walsh
This week’s fit links from around the web:
- Yum! Whether you’re craving a sweet treat or a savory mini-meal, these smart snack ideas are wholesome, satisfying and delicious. — Peanut Butter Fingers
- Fess up: What are you really wearing under those workout capris? — Fit Bottomed Girls
- We are intrigued by the idea of avocado pudding (especially if you add chocolate)! — Edible Perspective
- One woman tells you the secret to finding the perfect work/life balance. — MizFit
- Feeling frazzled? These five steps will help you find (nearly) instant bliss. — Diets in Review
- Hey, we’ve all stolen a bite of cookie dough before baking. But if you find yourself continually ruining your dinner appetite by taste-testing, try these tricks. — The Great Fitness Experiment
Written on January 31, 2011 at 9:38 am , by Karla Walsh
Back in junior high, my favorite meal was chicken fingers (which I ate for lunch or dinner nearly everyday), and I was fairly inactive (an afternoon of watching TV talk shows? Yes please!).
But after being tired of feeling tired and getting teased for my size, I made a pledge to hit the gym for 30 minutes every school day and cut back on fried foods. The plan worked, but I admittedly took it a little too far in the other direction, being too strict with my diet and running to the point of stress fractures and constantly sore muscles. After some time and practice, I learned to find balance in my daily lifestyle, incorporating reasonable amounts fitness and healthy living without going overboard. This experience made me realize how important good health is, in moderation, and from then on, I made it my goal to work in the wellness world.
I’m now proud to say that my body is strong and healthy enough to complete sprint triathlon, a five-mile road race or a spinning class (just not all in the same day!). But these days my favorite fitness activity is workout DVDs, so I can’t wait to share all of my new picks with you in the coming months.
Take a look at our past DVD reviews, then get ready for the 2011 list coming in the March issue, which hits stands in just a couple of weeks!
And then tell us: How do you find a healthy balance?