Written on February 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm , by Marianne Magno
Whether you’re rooting for the Ravens or the 49ers, we know there will be one sure winner this weekend: avocados. An estimated 79 million pounds of avocados are expected to be consumed on game day alone, up from the 71 million pounds consumed last Super Bowl.
The fruit may be one of your better options at the party spread, with heart-healthy fats, potassium, fiber and folate in each serving. Try these easy recipes from the Hass Avocado Board for a good-for-you feast.
Hass Avocado Halftime Sandwich
Makes 4 servings.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp. chopped dill
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, grilled, chilled and diced
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/8 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 ripe, Fresh Hass Avocado, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1/8 cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach, loosely packed
- 2 whole wheat pitas, cut in half
- Place oil and lemon juice in a medium bowl and whisk until creamy. Add dill, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Add chicken, cucumber, onion, tomato and red bell pepper and toss to combine. Add avocado and feta cheese and stir gently.
- Place spinach in pitas and fill with chicken mixture. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories 240; Total Fat 13 g (Sat 2.5 g); Cholesterol 20 mg; Sodium 250 mg; Potassium 400 mg; Total Carbohydrates 24 g; Dietary Fiber 6 g; Total Sugars 2 g; Protein 12 g. Read more