Written on February 24, 2012 at 11:26 am , by Karla Walsh
Katie Lee knows how to host one festive, tasty event. The food critic, cookbook author and former Top Chef host and judge has thrown countless parties and has big plans for Oscar Sunday this year! But before her big soiree, we caught up with Lee to snag her top three Academy Award-worthy tips:
- Get everyone involved. “Bring the glamour of the red carpet into your living room. Details as small as gold or silver cocktail napkins, draped red table cloths and glitzy champagne glass charms can make a big impact.”
- Add festive details. “Create simple ballots on festive stationery that allow your guests to predict the winners of each category. The guest with the most correct picks wins a fun prize!”
- Set up party stations. “Encourage guests to mingle by creating separate food and drink stations around the room. This will allow your party to flow well, but also encourage guests to meet one another throughout the night. For an added attraction, theme each station to one of the best picture nominees!”
Chili Parmesan and Peanut Popcorn (Inspired by Moneyball)
- 18 cups plain popped popcorn
- 1/4 cup I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! Spread, melted
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Put popcorn in large bowl.
- In small bowl, combine melted spread, chili powder and salt; drizzle over popcorn and toss until evenly coated.
- Add peanuts and cheese; toss.
Nutrition information per serving: 110 calories, 8 grams of fat
Now that we covered the savory, Lee passed along a sweet idea. Click below for the recipe!
Written on February 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm , by Karla Walsh
Actors and musicians don’t take a winter hiatus from their workout routines—in fact they often amp up the intensity since awards show season basically spans the first two months of the year. You too can sculpt a red carpet-ready shape with these tips from celebrity trainer Nathan Mellalieu! He has worked out with film casts (X-Men, The A Team, Get Smart and more) and has several high-profile clients, including Anne Hathaway, Olivia Wilde, Ashley Greene, Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck.
Tone your total body by kicking and punching. “Kickboxing helped Ashley Greene get in vampire shape for Twilight,” Mellalieu says. He recommends an hour of kickboxing three times a week and suggest including jabs and jab-cross combinations for the core and upper body as well as front and roundhouse kicks for the core and lower body. Click here to learn how to do these moves and more!
Challenge yourself with body weight. Knocking out one pull-up is a great goal for women, Mellalieu says, but by starting with this variation, he helped Olivia Wilde work up to completing five unassisted pull-ups by the end of training for Tron: Legacy.
- Loop a sturdy resistance band over a secured bar and lean back so your body is at a 45 degree angle, with arms extended and palms facing chest.
- Slowly pull yourself up until hands are parallel with chest, then relax all the way down.
- Keep adding reps until your muscles feel fully fatigued.
Try multitasking moves. “You can maximize the efficiency of your workouts by working multiple muscle groups at the same time, which keeps your heart rate up. Anne Hathaway did moves like these to tone her body for Get Smart,” Mellalieu says.
- Modified Thruster
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and hold a pair of dumbbells at face height with palms facing in.
- Keep spine straight and most of weight in heels and bend knees to complete a squat.
- As you return to standing position, press arms overhead with palms facing in.
- Reverse Lunge with Lateral Raise
- With hands at sides, palms facing in, step back into a reverse lunge until front knee is at about a 90-degree angle.
- While lowering, lift arms out to sides until they’re parallel with shoulders.
- Curl and Press
- Hold dumbbells with arms at sides, palms facing forward.
- Keep a slight bend in knees, curl weights to chest, then press arms overhead.
Anne Hathaway photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Now tell us: Which red carpet star would you like to train with?
Written on February 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm , by Marla Horenbein
There has been a lot of buzz here today at FITNESS about last night’s Academy Awards show. But what seems to be on everyone’s minds more than anything are the glamourous red carpet looks…so let’s talk fashion! After chatting with some of the editors in the office, the ladies of the fashion department have compiled a list of our 7 favorite red carpet beauties:
Let’s start with Weight Watchers spokeswoman, Jennifer Hudson. How gorgeous did she look in that tangerine Atelier Versace gown? After losing 80 pounds and looking that fabulous, we think Jennifer could have rocked the Oscars in anything. You go girl!
The Jennifer’s were stealing the show last night, because we thought Jennifer Lawrence looked visionary in a red Calvin Klein column dress. The simplicity of the dress, with the va-va-voom of her luscious blonde locks made her a bombshell in our eyes.
Helen Mirren’s classic and sophisticated style totally stole our votes as one of the best dressed last night. The pewter Vivienne Westwood dress that she wore fit her perfectly, and with just the right amount of sparkling jewels, we think she set the bar high. Take notes, ladies, take notes!
Adding some sparkle to the red carpet was Mandy Moore, in a stunning Monique Lhuillier gown. The sheer bodice and tulle skirt accentuated Mandy in all of the right places, showing off her long and lean limbs. And those beads! How gorgeous?!
On the more fashion-forward end, we thought Gwyneth Paltrow and Cate Blanchett took the cake. Gwyneth donned a beautiful Calvin Klein column dress with a tasteful plunging neck-line and a Louis Vuitton broach, which made her look statuesque, yet effortless. Cate’s lavender Givenchy gown with structured shoulders was soft and romantic, but with a little hit of unexpected yellow beading, she was able to score our vote for best dressed!
There seems to be a general conscious though, that Camila Alves was the show-stopper in a black Kaufman Franco gown, paired with understated, yet glamorous jewels. Come on now, who wouldn’t want to wear that stunning dress? And to stand next to Matthew McConaughey? What a lucky lady!
We would love to know what you think of our list! Share you thoughts and tell us who you thought rocked the red carpet at the 2011 Academy Awards!