Written on April 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm , by Karla Walsh
I’m sure you saw the big news today—Brad and Angelina are engaged! We were able to spend a few days in their lives during a visit to the posh resort Caneel Bay on the U.S. Virgin Islands, where Brangelina have spent weeks enjoying the property’s seven beaches while they rented expansive “Cottage 7.” Who knows…maybe they’ll make a return visit for more of the unique cuisine and unbeatable views for their honeymoon? Read on for five reasons we loved the resort and why you might want to check it out too (besides the possibility of a star sighting).
- Yoga overlooking the ocean. See photo above—enough said!
- Nearly private beaches for guests. No wonder Mr. and Mrs. Pitt loved Caneel Bay. The secluded nature of the property on St. John means that you’ll be able to unplug and detach from the outside world, if you like, and recharge your batteries with a book in a hammock or while building sandcastles with the kids.
- Active adventures are available for all interests. We opted for a tapas-style vacation, with bites of everything from kayaking and sailing to snorkeling, hiking and of course, yoga. But you can learn to paddleboard, windsurf and more if that’s more your speed! All gear is ready and waiting for you to rent and experts are on-hand for lessons.
- Indulgence in culinary and calorie-free delights. Fresh fare like gazpacho and seasonal fruit are in large supply and have rarely tasted better. (Maybe they were even more decadent when Brad and Angie had the best chefs from around the island cook for them privately in their cottage!) The real treat can be found in the massage cabanas, which are filled with flowers and also overlook the beach. When you have views like these, why not?
- Wake up with sand in your toes and fall asleep with waves in your ears. Coming from the mainland, the island scenery and tempo are a definite change of pace. Bonus: No paparazzi!
Now tell us: If you didn’t need to worry about a budget, where would your ideal vacation or honeymoon location be?
Written on April 11, 2012 at 11:07 am , by Karla Walsh
You drive up to the gas pump and feel like you’re charging your paycheck away—we get it! Money is tight, but with summer coming up, a feel-good getaway may be just what you need. Luckily, we found an amazing deal on a restorative yoga retreat that will leave your brain, body and bank account in fantastic shape.
The Bespoke Yoga Retreat, in partnership with Yada Yada Yoga, will be held June 15 to June 18 at the St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort in Puerto Rico. Those who attend will be treated to delicious meals, morning and evening yoga classes overlooking the ocean and beach activities from kayaking to paddle boarding (and of course lounging).
For double occupancy, a stay at this luxury resort in a Garden View room during the retreat—with all of the extras above included—is only $357 per person per night. Score!
To book your space (a two night minimum is required), contact Angelica Lenox at (954) 624-1784 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More from FITNESS:
- The Best Gift I Gave Myself: Brazilian Boot Camp
- Avoid Jet Bloat
- The Sane Girl’s Travel Guide to a Stress-Free Vacation
Written on January 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm , by Lisa Haney
Tonight on The Bachelor, Ben and his eligible bachelorettes take their love show on the road, jetting to gorgeous Vieques Island, Puerto Rico, where they stay at the W Retreat & Spa. Apparently the romantic, tropical locale has contestant and former FITNESS cover girl Courtney feeling frisky: She leads Ben to the W Beach for a late-night swim (skinny dip, perhaps?), the show’s promo teases.
We can’t wait to watch—to catch all the drama and the beautiful Vieques backdrop.
FITNESS was recently invited to stay at the laid-back luxe retreat (alas, not while Ben was there) and explore Vieques. We found a perfect mix of adventure and relaxation—an ideal destination for a fun, fit couples trip or an active girlfriend getaway. If you go, check out these top hits on our Fit List:
- Morning yoga: Start each day with a 90-minute traditional morning yoga class on the outdoor deck behind the W’s SWEAT fitness center. (The class sometimes takes place on the beach when weather allows.) Non-yogis: Work out on the brand new cardio machines and weights in the fitness center or hit some balls at the nearby SWING tennis courts.
- Hiking and kayaking adventure: Black Beard Sports, located next to SWEAT, offers several custom guided tours of the island. We hiked to a nearby breathtaking vista and then kayaked to Red Beach for a gourmet picnic. See if Mark is available to be your guide.
- Biking: You can also rent a bike at Black Beard. For a scenic and moderately challenging four-mile spin*, take a right on the road (Route 200) from the retreat and head past the airport to Starfish Beach, where you may spy bright red starfishes on the sand. On your way back, hang a left to ride out to the end of the mile-long Mosquito Pier for a stunning look back at the island. You’ll pass dozens of the island’s free roaming horses along your route. (*The folks at Black Beard can provide detailed directions.)
- Bioluminescent bay tour: Don’t leave Vieques without taking a nighttime kayak tour on the magical bio bay, which is filled with microscopic organisms that release a chemical whenever there’s movement in the water, making it glow. Every paddle stroke creates a trail of light. The W can arrange your outing with a company such as Abe’s Snorkeling & Bio Bay Tours. Request a tour with Abe himself, if he’s available. He’s a total trip and excuse enough to visit Vieques.