Written on May 12, 2011 at 11:48 am , by Lisa Haney
Sometimes moms are great health role models. Other times, not so much.
Young women who use tanning beds were four times as likely (42 percent) to say their moms use tanning beds compared to young women who don’t indoor tan, according to a new survey by the American Academy of Dermatology. The group reminds that indoor tanning increases your risk of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, by a whopping 75 percent!
When it comes to skin cancer, you definitely don’t want “like mother, like daughter” to be the case.
For more on this important topic, read up here:
- What’s That Spot? A Photo Guide to Skin Cancer
- 10 Smart Ways to Lower Your Skin Cancer Risk
- What to Eat to Beat Skin Cancer
Now tell us: What’s your smartest sun protection tip?
Written on April 29, 2011 at 10:31 am , by Marla Horenbein
Ready, set, fiesta! With Cinco de Mayo right around the corner and the smell of summer in the air, we are so ready to to whip out the tortilla chips and party! One of spring/summer’s biggest trends is bold colors and we think Cinco de Mayo is the perfect day to test it out! From gym time to fiesta time, you can’t go wrong with any of these great pieces…bring on the salsa baby!
1. Under Armour Charged Cotton Tee $25 Perfect for an energy-filled gym class!
2. Kate Spade New York Color of the Month iPhone 4 Case $35 The stripes are so fun!
3. Kate Spade New York Women for Women Beaded Bracelet $45 Adds a great pop of color to any outfit!
4. LemLem Adama Tunic $175 Reminds us of a native Mexican blanket!
5. Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in Pulsion $25 A sweet treat for your hands and feet!
6. Nike Printed Tempo Track Short $32 Spices up your run!
7. Aspire Strappy Racerback Tank $32 A blast of color for yoga time!
8. TopShop Mexicana Embroidered Shift $76 The right amount of flare for a fiesta!
9. Skull Candy Smokin Buds $23 For your salsa playlists!
Written on April 13, 2011 at 9:43 am , by Julia Savacool
I just finished watching an ABC news interview with Cindy Jackson, a 55-year-old woman who looks like she’s 32 and holds the world record for number of cosmetic surgeries (52!). Not sure whether that’s the craziest thing, or if it’s the cash she’s forked over ($100,000) to look like she’s young enough to be her own daughter. She’s had five facelifts, nips, tucks and “knee liposuction” (to get rid of the bags of fat along the insides her knees, she explained).
When the reporter commented that Cindy was messing with nature, Cindy corrected him. “Nature is messing with me,” she said. “So I don’t have a problem with that.”
Whether or not you believe in plastic surgery, or have thought about getting a face lift, or could see the day when maaaaybe you’d have lipo… 52 procedures? Really? I mean, think of all the workouts you could do in that time! The calories you could burn! The muscles you could tone! The personal trainers you might have worked with! Surely, 20 surgeries would have sufficed? Throw in some core conditioning and Pilates classes, and I bet she could’ve gotten away with 19, minus that last tummy tuck.
I’m all for “you gotta do what you gotta do.” I’m just saying I’d rather do it the old fashioned way. More sweat, less needles.
Now tell us: Would you ever consider plastic surgery? What’s your take on this story?
Written on April 12, 2011 at 10:32 am , by Karla Walsh
Last year, Christina Aguilera and Cher showed us how your legs (and lungs—belt it, girls!) can get a spectacular workout on the burlesque stage. A new documentary is now highlighting the performance art and the real-life stars who wowed the crowds in the early-to-mid 1900s.
“All of the women we interviewed for the film were different shapes and sizes. But no matter what, they never once talked about their physicality, now or then, in the negative,” says Behind the Burly Q director Leslie Zemeckis. “Some were heavy, some were flat-chested, they varied in firmness. But they accepted their bodies and what they could do without worrying about losing weight or hiding a ‘defect.’”
We adore the old-world glamour that these women possess, so we asked a few of the former burlesque stars to share their beauty and confidence secrets. Keep these in mind when you’re having a bad body image day:
“I dress up everyday. I don’t wear jeans, not even to take out the trash! I put on my jewelry, lipstick and a nice outfit, even if I’m not going anywhere.”—Joan Arline, current burlesque performer
- FITNESS Takeaway: Toss the worn out T-shirt and baggy sweatpants for your next trip to the gym! Try a bright, fitted tank and a pair of leggings, capris or figure-flattering pants.
“Eat right, sleep at least eight hours each night when possible, don’t smoke and laugh a lot.”—Joni DiRando
- FITNESS Takeaway: Include one of these “10 Healthiest Foods on the Planet” in your diet everyday this week. And of course bypass the cigarettes and become pals with your pillow!
“As you walk across the stage of life, always keep the rhythm in your step, a smile on your face and love of life in your heart.”—Lillian Kiernan Brown
- FITNESS Takeaway: Create a mantra that your can repeat when life gets tough.
More from FITNESS: What we love about our bodies.
Written on March 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm , by Marianne Magno
After a busy week, nothing sounds more relaxing than a day at the spa. I don’t know about you guys, but I’m daydreaming about a massage right now. Which is why SpaFinder’s Wellness Week is coming at just the right time.
This week, from March 21 to March 27, spas and wellness centers nationwide are offering $50 prices or 50% off treatments and fitness classes.You can get a facial, massage or one-on-one personal training without breaking your budget. Find a participating location and book an appointment before they fill up at spafinder.com/wellnessweek.
Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to make a phone call to schedule a much-needed massage.
Written on February 14, 2011 at 9:10 am , by Karla Walsh
This Valentine’s Day, you don’t need a significant other to revel in the glow of the holiday! Jenna and I were inspired by Caitlin Boyle’s fabulous Operation Beautiful project and decided to spread the love in our offices with the help of a super-cute (and festive) Post-It dispenser.
Here are a few of our favorite messages recently posted on the Operation Beautiful blog that you can share:
- “To wish you are someone else is to waste the person you are.”
- “I agree with Bruno Mars, ‘You are amazing, just the way you are.’”
- “Lost time is never found, so stop doubting that you are beautiful.”
- “Smile, gorgeous! You look amazing today and everyday!”
Caitlin just finished writing her second book, written for the teenage crowd, which we can’t wait to read after pouring over her first!
What would your Operation Beautiful note say?