By Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD As summer approaches, we start craving fresh foods. Hello healthy salad season—and just in time to help us slim down for summer! With the help of Dole Salads, I am posting 31 delicious and simple salad recipes throughout the month of May—enough for a different salad every day. Here’s the thing about salad: If you make one that’s too light, you’ll be hungry in an hour. But add the wrong ingredients, and your salad can have more calories and fat than a burger and fries. The trick to making a healthy salad that’s a satisfying meal is in the ratio of ingredients.
This the general equation for the perfect entrée salad:
2-3 cups veggies + 3/4 cup or 3 ounces cooked protein (~150 calories; beans, egg, turkey, tuna, etc.) + 3/4 cup cooked grain or starchy carb (~150 calories; brown rice, whole grain pita, quinoa, baguette, etc.) + 2-3 Tablespoons fat (~100 calories; dressing, cheese, nuts, etc.)
Each of this week’s salads has the perfect ratio of ingredients to fill you up without weighing you down. Try one for dinner tonight!
Garden Tapas with Tuna Who says a salad has to be served in a bowl? This one is served on top of thinly sliced baguette pieces…
- 1 package (6 oz.) DOLE Tender Garden, coarsely chopped
- 2 (2.6 oz.) pouches chunk tuna or 1 (5 oz.) can chunk light tuna in water, drained
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons bottled capers, drained
- 1 hard-boiled egg, coarsely chopped
- Juice from 1 medium lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 (8 oz.) baguette French bread, cut into 12 slices, toasted
- Salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix and toss all ingredients together thoroughly, except baguette. Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
- Top bread slices with salad mixture.
- Transfer to plates and season with fresh pepper, if desired.
Serves 4. Serving size: 1/4 salad. 317 calories and 7g fat per serving. Here are more Super-Satisfying Salad recipes. Check back next week for a new round of salads!
- Mediterranean Salad with Grapes and Sausage
- Miso-Garlic-Roasted Tofu Caesar Salad
- Quinoa Salad with Shrimp, Mango and Butter Lettuce
- Bulgur, Chickpea, Pistachio Salad
- Peanut Tempeh Thai Salad
- Grains & Greens Salad with Hummus Dressing
About the Author: Dawn Jackson Blatner, RDN, CSSD is a registered dietitian nutritionist and certified specialist in sports nutrition based in Chicago. She is the author of The Flexitarian Diet. Dawn is working with Dole throughout the month of May to inspire more salad eating.