Written on February 7, 2013 at 9:02 am , by Colleen Moody
The Fiscal Cliff may have come and gone, but according to Gold’s Gym, February 7 is considered to be the “Fitness Cliff”–the day those New Year Resolutions start to go astray and goals slowly start heading toward the back burner.
Gold’s studied check-in patterns at gym locations around the country over a three-year period to establish this cliff. After the initial gym craze around January 1, they noticed a gradual decline in check-ins beginning January 30, with the biggest drop happening on February 7. To help keep you from falling off the edge, Dr. Belisa Vranich, author and clinical psychologist created these five warning signs that your resolutions may be slipping:
- You suddenly find yourself too busy to get to the gym as often as when you first started.
- You’re getting angry that the effort you’re making to work out and eat healthy aren’t equaling the results you’d like to see in the mirror.
- You find yourself less motivated and begin to wonder why you made this goal in the first place.
- You slowly start to ease back into old patterns, trading treadmill time for the TV and in caving into your usual guilty pleasures.
- You start arguing with yourself that you don’t really need to change, convincing yourself that you’ll make a better effort next year.
Do one or more of these points sound like you? Get back on track with these tips from Gold’s Gym Fitness Institute expert and celebrity trainer Mike Ryan:
- Add some “class” to your routine. Whether it’s TRX training or Zumba, group exercise is a great way to get some energy into a stale routine.
- Upgrade your workout–enlist in technology like a tracking app to help you stay accountable.
- Don’t do it alone. Find a friend and cheer each other on. Plus, there’s nothing like a little friendly competition to keep you focused.
- Get off the scale–that number doesn’t dictate your progress. Instead, ask your gym for a body assessment to pinpoint where your state of fitness currently is.
- Try a trainer. Even if it’s just for a few sessions, working with a trainer can help you figure out the best ways to tone your body type and reach your goals.
To help you stay off the Fitness Cliff, Gold’s Gym is giving away free fitness consultations with a certified personal trainer and a free 7-day VIP pass to Gold’s Gym locations. To get yours, click here.