Written on June 14, 2012 at 12:06 pm , by Karla Walsh
When the weather warms up, our tastes naturally veer toward lighter, oven-free fare. Whole Foods Market’s Health Starts Here program has dozens of low-calorie, refreshing ideas to help you fit in your fruit and vegetable servings all summer long. Here are four of our favorites, all of which will please a crowd!
Double Grape Slushies
- 1/2 cup concord grape juice
- 1 cup seedless red or green grapes
- 1 cup honeydew melon chunks
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Pour juice into a blender. Drop in fruit and ice.
- Put the lid on and blend until smooth.
Nutrition information per serving: 60 calories, 0 g fat
Banana Nice Cream
- 2 bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 2 tablespoons smooth almond butter or peanut butter
- Put bananas, soymilk and nut butter into a blender.
- Puree, turning off the motor and stirring the mixture two or three times, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into two bowls and serve.
Nutrition information per serving: 280 calories, 13 g fat
Cut up fresh fruit of choice, place in Popsicle trays or paper cups and pour your favorite 100 percent fruit juice over the fruit and freeze. Blend the fruit and juice before freezing for a smoother texture, or use as ice cubes as fruity accents to party drinks!
Watermelon Agua Frescas
- 6 to 8 pounds seedless watermelon, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups cold water, divided
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey (more or less to taste)
- Ice cubes
- Lime slices and mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Cut the watermelon flesh from the rind.
- In a blender, process half the watermelon pieces with 1 cup of water until smooth.
- Pour through a strainer into a pitcher, and repeat process with remaining melon and water.
- Stir in lime juice and agave. Pour into an ice-filled glasses and garnish with lime slices.
Nutrition information per serving: 160 calories, 0 g fat
More from FITNESS: