Written on May 24, 2012 at 3:13 pm , by Karla Walsh
Lindsay from The Lean Green Bean knows a thing or two about good food (just look at her substantial recipe database!). And as you might guess by the name of her blog, many of those dishes are health-conscious—Lindsay is studying to become a registered dietitian. We caught up with creative and fit foodie to learn more about what makes her smile and how she satisfies her sweet tooth.
My favorite way to work out: At home! I love putting together Tabata and circuit workouts that get my heart pumping but don’t require a lot of equipment and never take more than 20 to 30 minutes.
5 things I can’t live without: My family and friends, my iPhone, fresh fruits and vegetables, my contacts or glasses and a water bottle.
I’m happiest when I’m… Spending time outside with my husband!
My favorite fit snack: Plain Chobani Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, almonds and chia seeds.
My fitness mantra: “Do something today that your future self will thank you for”
To try out one of Lindsay’s go-to vegetarian dinners, click below.
Mexican Loaded Sweet Potato
- 4 small sweet potatoes (or 2 large)
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ cup onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced,
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cooked grain (rice, farro, quinoa)
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- Mexican cheese
- Poke the sweet potatoes all over with a fork and microwave on high for five to six minutes, or until soft.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, red pepper and black beans in a medium-sized pan. Add spices and mix well.
- Add the grain and stir until heated through.
- Slice the sweet potatoes in half length-wise (or cut them in half, if using two large).
- Top with bean mixture. Add the avocado, tomato and cheese. Serve warm.