Written on May 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm , by Colleen Moody
It’s no secret–we’re pretty busy these days. Between work, family, friends and chores around the house, we often forget to pay attention to the most important person, ourselves. And when we do give ourselves a break, it’s a pretty weak attempt at one. In a recent survey of 3,000 people in 10 major cities conducted by Keurig, Inc. and Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. people admitted to sneaking away for a ten-minute breather in their closets, the elevator at work and even the zoo! (That seems a bit ironic, don’t you think?) To help put the world on ice, Sissy Biggers, past host of the Food Network’s Ready, Set, Cook! and ABC’s Extreme Makeover and Donna Smallin Kuper, author of Organizing, Plain and Simple share their tips on how to stay sane through summer entertaining and your daily routine.
- Plan your route. When running errands, map out where you need to go to avoid backtracking, says Kuper. “Trip chaining” saves gas and gets you home faster. Before you head out, prepare an iced beverage at home with a Keurig brewer to save time and avoid unnecessary stops.
- Organize your day to maximize productivity. Whether it’s first thing in the morning or late at night, Kuper says there is a time of the day that’s generally your most productive time. Find out when that is and use it to tackle the things on your to-do list that require the most energy and brainpower.
- Get some face time in. Unplug the television, power down your cell phone and turn off the iPad and computer to spend some time with family. Sounds easy, yet it rarely happens!
- Pack a survival kit. Biggers recommends including a book you’ve been dying to read, your iPod with music to pep you up, a magazine that helps your mind escape and a special snack you consider to be a treat. Leave it in your car or office when you need to take a break.
- Prep for entertaining. Help your friends re-energize with little touches, says Biggers. Keep washed fruits, citrus and mint stalks ready for garnishes to iced beverages like Celestial Seasonings Perfect Iced Teas and surprised guests by adding milk or half and half ice cubes to iced brews.
Now tell us: How do you unwind when you need a break?
More from FITNESS: 6 Secrets to a Calmer, Saner Life