Are you healthy from the inside out? (Photo by Laura Doss)
You can see the results of hitting the gym and eating more veggies in the mirror, which keeps you motivated to maintain these smart habits. But sometimes, it's what you can't see from the outside that is a better reflection of your true health. That's why regular visits to your doctor are so important! As National Women's Health Week comes to a close, schedule your yearly physical (if you haven't had one recently) and take along this wellness checklist, courtesy of Planned Parenthood, to ensure the appointment covers all your bases.
- Birth Control: Talk to your doc about the best option for you. (Read up here before you go to learn about some of the most effective and popular picks.)
- Breast Cancer Screening: Help detect cancer early, during its most treatable stages.
- Pap Test and HPV Test: Screen for cervical cancer warning signs.
- Pelvic Exam: Help detect signs of infection, protect against infertility and promote safe and healthy pregnancies.
- Pregnancy: If you're thinking about becoming a mom, discuss pre-pregnancy health and planning for your growing family.
- STDs: Testing protects you and your partners. Should you ask for STD testing? Find out by taking this quiz.
- Etc.: Find out which other screenings (bone health, diabetes, heart health) may be beneficial for you by using the interactive screening tool at womenshealth.gov/whw.