Sullivan smiles as she completes 13.1 miles at the MORE/FITNESS Half. (Photo by Andrew Walker/WireImage)
After having her first child, Nicole Sullivan struggled with her weight to the point that it was "torture," she says. So when she was a few months away from giving birth to her second, Sullivan made herself a pact: "I was not going to spend the first year-and-a-half (or more) of my child's life hating myself."
She decided to call Jenny Craig to help get her pre-baby body back and to teach her how to find a healthier lifestyle. Thirty-five pounds later, the actress who most recently appeared on Cougartown, has discovered her inner athlete. She even crossed the finish line at the MORE/FITNESS Half-Marathon last month!
Just in time for Mother's Day, we caught up with the funny mom for her top five tips about shaping up and setting a fit example for your kids.
- Don't let the haters get you down. "L.A. is a great city, but it can be cruel if you're overweight. I learned that my body will never be like Jessica Biel’s body...or even close! My only obligation is to be the best me I can be. For many actresses, they strive for (and achieve) being a size 0. For me, a size 4 means I'm rockin' it. It's all about making realistic goals."
- Run your town. "The other day we were driving by a park filled with joggers, and my oldest son said, 'Mom, you should go jogging here. You'd love it!' How cute! My sons will never know the mom who didn't run, who didn't take walks or who didn't compete in 10Ks and half-marathons. That's a great lesson, I hope. Activity will always be in our lives. Before I lost weight, it almost never was."
- Find some motivation. "The people on The Biggest Loser absolutely inspire me. If they can work out for four hours carrying around all that weight, certainly I can jump on the treadmill for 45 minutes. And I love that Reese Witherspoon still jogged even after she got hit by a car. That would have sent me back to my couch. But not her. Plus, she's adorable and has great calves!"
- Crank up the cardio. "Once I lost the weight I did something I never thought I would do. I started jogging! I hated jogging. I hated joggers. I thought the whole thing was silly and cruel. But part of me always wanted to be the person that said, 'Bye guys—I'm going out for a jog.' So I started with 20 seconds at first, then a minute, then five minutes, then a mile. Last year I ran my first half-marathon and now I'm training for my fourth half-marathon this July. It's crazy!"
- Start the day (and snack) smart. "I love my Jenny food. Their breakfasts are so good and so filling and I'm a big breakfast eater! My favorite is their egg breakfast sandwich. During the day, I grab Jenny cheese popcorn or mustard pretzel sticks and bring them in the car with me. They're yummy and guilt free! Also, sugar-free Jello is good way to handle a sweet craving (I usually have 2)."
Moms tell us: How do you stay fit and how have you started your kids on the same healthy path?