Rebekah, or Bex, is one fit lady who makes it clear that loving life is really the most important thing she could teach anyone. A mother of four beautiful children, she's a fitness and yoga instructor in south Jersey who—get this—has her own chickens, goats and organic garden, despite living in an urban area. Neat! Read on to find out how she stays happy and healthy, then check out Bex Life for more inside scoop on all things fitness (with some farming, of course).
My favorite way to work out: My best workouts are always with my husband. He has never been a fitness person, and he just started training with me recently. Witnessing his transformation and progress from week to week is so motivating, and it compels me to work harder toward my own goals.
My fitness mantra: There's no excuse not to workout. There are fitness opportunities everywhere! You don't need a gym or fancy equipment. You just need you and a little imagination. I've gotten amazing workouts just lugging my laundry basket up and down the stairs or running around the playground with my kids.
My go-to fit snack: Bananas! I often joke that I have a four-a-day banana habit, but it's completely true. I don't think I could ever get tired of eating them—in smoothies, made into ice cream, with peanut butter, etc. I'll take them however I can get them!
5 things I can't live without:
- There's no doubt that I wouldn't be who I am without my family. My kids and husband are the center of my universe.
- The outdoors. If I don't get outside at least once a day, I go bonkers. Even if I'm just walking around my garden for a few minutes watching the chickens run around, I need to get outside and experience nature.
- My local farmer's markets. I'm lucky to live in rural South Jersey, where I have access to endless acres of small family farms. I can just drive down the road and pick up whatever fresh fruit or vegetable I want and know that it's local.
- Yoga practice. It's the foundation for everything I do, not just fitness. It centers me in my relationships, work life and all of my physical activities.
- The Bex Life community. It's true—I love my followers! I look for inspiration from them every day and I hope that I offer a little inspiration for them as well. We've made a deal to co-inspire and it seems to be working out beautifully.
My "I Did It" moment: The greatest experience in my life was having my fourth baby at home with a midwife. It was the most physically and emotionally challenging thing I've ever done, and I could have never imagined how glorious a natural birth could be. I actually trained for it by working out and doing yoga during my whole pregnancy; it made a huge difference in my strength and endurance during labor.