With spring break in full swing (or already passed for many!) thoughts turn to summer and upcoming getaways. If a beach getaway is in the books, a surf session is likely on the agenda. While it’s rare to have a surf school nearby in most areas of the country, there’s plenty you can do now to hit the waves feeling strong, prepared and confident.
“Pre-training is important for excelling, keeping safe and having fun with summer water sports,” says Rob Stuart, private trainer at The Sports Club/LA in Washington, D.C. Four to six weeks before your departure, follow Stuart’s plan for a three-pronged approach at a surf-ready (and beach-ready) body:
- Cardio 15 to 20 minutes three days a week
- Total-body strength training three days a week
- Yoga and swimming to complement
To hit all the muscle groups you’ll need on the board, try these seven moves during your strength sessions. Do three sets of 12 reps of each exercise.
- Squat Push
- Deadlift with dumbbells
- Lat Raise Combo
- Modified T Push-Up (Make it harder: Do this move on your toes.)
- Triceps Extension (No machine? Try this with a resistance band or swap in the Triceps Sit.)
- Roll and Curl
Now tell us: Are you planning a spring or summer getaway? If so, do you change your exercise routine beforehand?