Last week, FITNESS advisory board member and super chef Rocco DiSpirito made me breakfast. This was strictly (delicious) business, though! He hosted a group of editors to teach us how to make a low-calorie, well-balanced morning meal with ideas from his Now Eat This! Diet book and new recipes created with Coffee-mate's recently-released Natural Bliss creamers.
It was all really tasty (and a huge step up from our usual weekday grab-and-go), so we asked DiSpirito to share two of his favorite recipes so we can all recreate them at home.
This dish is so delicious, it's worth the extra effort. (Photo courtesy of Coffee-mate Natural Bliss)
Vanilla Ricotta-Stuffed Crepes With Orange Maple Syrup
- 6 tablespoons Natural Bliss Low-fat Vanilla
- 4 teaspoons egg white powder
- 8 ounces light ricotta cheese
- 1 navel orange, 1/2 teaspoon of zest removed with fine grater, then peeled
- 1/2 cup calorie-free pancake syrup
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 sprigs fresh mint (about 8 leaves), torn into small piece
- Preheat the over to 350° F. Pour all but 2 teaspoons of the Natural Bliss in a small mixing bowl and whisk in the egg white powder until fully dissolved; set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with the remaining 2 teaspoons of Natural Bliss and 1/4 teaspoon of the orange zest set aside.
- With a sharp knife, cut the sections of orange flesh out from the white membrane that encases them in the orange. Place the orange sections, remaining 1/4 teaspoon orange zest and the pancake syrup in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high until the mixture simmers, about 2 minutes. Carefully remove the plastic wrap on one side to vent but keep warm, and set aside.
- Spray a 10-inch nonstick skillet with one second of cooking spray and place over medium heat. Pour one-fourth of the Natural Bliss and egg powder mixture into the warm pan and swirl the mixture so it forms a thin even layer on the bottom of the pan. Put it over the heat until you can see browning at the edges, about 20 seconds, and then place in the oven and bake about 30 seconds or until it has full cooked. Pull the crepe out of the pan, cover with plastic wrap or parchment paper and set aside. Repeat these steps to make three additional crepes.
- Place a dollop of the ricotta mixture in the center of each crepe and spread it out evenly over the crepes. Fold crepes in half and then in half again and place one crepe each on four plates. Spoon the warm orange syrup over each crepe and garnish with mint leaves.
Nutrition information per serving (one crepe): 108 calories, 4 g fat
For a super sip, click below.
A simple, refreshing way to start the day! (Photo courtesy of Coffee-mate Natural Bliss)
Orange Vanilla Bliss
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup Coffee-mate Natural Bliss Vanilla
- 1/2 frozen or room temperature banana
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Place orange juice, Coffee-mate, banana and ice in blender; cover.
- Blend until smooth.
More from FITNESS: