Written on March 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm , by Colleen Moody
Last week I got the chance to enlighten my mind and my feet while testing New Balance’s latest walking shoe (featured in our 2012 FITNESS Sneaker Guide!) with a tour of the Guggenheim Museum in NYC. While I enjoyed soaking in the art, my feet were pretty pleased as well. The 895 SuperFresh/SuperLight collection is made with REVLite cushioning technology in the midsole. That paired with an egg crate-like design on the outsole makes slipping on these sneaks feel like a tiny massage for your toes.
As a special bonus, New Balance Fitness Ambassador Holly Perkins led our walking tour and shared six exercises every woman should be doing. Since only a few of these make a regular appearance in my gym routine, I shared them below so you can add the moves you are missing.
1. Sumo squat: Start with feet wider than shoulders width apart, toes pointed out and knees over toes. Sink into a deep squat, thighs parallel to the ground and your back straight. Push off with your heels, squeezing your glutes and inner thighs back into starting position. Try 3 reps of 10.
2. Single leg deadlift: Balancing on right leg with left leg slightly behind you and off the ground, reach down and touch the ground with your fingers. Return to starting position and repeat. Try 3 reps of 10 for each leg.
3. Calf raises: Holding onto a chair or other steady surface, raise your heels until you are on your tiptoes. Balance weight at the balls of your feet and pause. Lower slowly and repeat. Try 3 reps of 15.
4. Plié squat on tiptoes: Stand with your legs two feet apart, toes turned out. Push your hips back and lower into a squat, thighs parallel to the floor. Pause and slowly return to starting position. Try 3 reps of 10.
5. Quad stretches: Holding onto a wall for balance, bring your right leg up and grab ankle with right hand, heel touching your butt. Make sure to tuck your butt in toward your hips rather than sticking it out for a deeper stretch. Hold for 30 seconds and switch legs.
6. Leg raises: Using a chair or wall lift your right foot off the ground, squeezing your thighs and butt as you pulse leg up for 30 seconds. Switch legs and repeat. Try 3 reps for each leg.