Come January, nutritious, wholesome and low-fat recipes will be all the rage. But why wait? Lindsay Nixon is sharing guilt-free recipes today on her blog Happy Herbivore and in her just-released cookbook Everyday Happy Herbivore. No wacky, expensive ingredients, Nixon promises, and she says that we can create all of the dishes in less time than it takes to watch an episode of 30-Minute Meals. Sold! We asked Nixon to share more about her favorite hobbies and snacks, then were lucky enough to snag a recipe from her new cookbook. It's perfect as part of a delicious breakfast or dessert!
Lindsay's vegan cookbook is available now.
My favorite way to work out: Snowboarding. I actually moved to Colorado for the winter so I could ride every day!
I'm happiest when I'm: In motion. I get ants in my pants if I sit too long.
My fave fit snack: Jicama slices with lime juice.
My fitness mantra: "Be better today than you were yesterday."
My "I Did It" moment: I climbed Mount Washington a few years ago, and because I'm crazy, I did the most aggressive trail. It was wonderful to get to the top and say "I did this! Yeah, I rock!"
Muffin cups make perfect portions. (Photo courtesy of Lindsay Nixon)
Apple Fritter Cups Serves 12
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apple (skin optional)
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light brown or raw sugar
- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- nutmeg or ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill muffin tin with paper liners and set aside. Toss 1 cup apples with a few dashes of cinnamon and a little brown sugar until well coated and set aside. (This is your topping.)
- In a small bowl, whisk nondairy milk with vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon (your choice) plus a dash of nutmeg or ginger, and stir to combine.
- Whisk in sugar, then pour in milk mixture. Add vanilla to remaining 1/2 cup apples and stir to combine.
- Spoon into muffin cups just a tad more than halfway full. Add topping on each.
- Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Tip: Once the fritters completely cool, the liners will peel off. If you plan to eat them warm, lightly spray the inside of the liner with oil-spray to prevent stick or forgo the liners and grease your muffin tin or use a nonstick pan. Nutrition information per serving: 102 calories, <1 g fat