Elaine's nephew Zachary is a budding chef!
Just like you, our staff is gearing up to celebrate the holidays with family and friends! While we're planning to indulge (Exhibit A: the discussions about cookies and feasting below; Exhibit B: the dessert spread at our staff holiday party!), we also have some fit customs that have been passed down through the generations.
Here are a few of our favorite fun ways to mark the holidays with our loved ones.
- "My sister and I make a large variety of cookies, then give them as gifts and share with each other! A lot of time is put into creating the different varieties, but now we have help! We're continuing our productions with the assistance of my two helpers—my niece and nephew." — Elaine Roake, photo director
- "Everyone in my family is a huge fan of games, so some new contraption finds its way under the tree each year. On Christmas, after opening gifts and eating breakfast, we spend the morning testing out our new game, whether it's Rock Band, Wii Fit or something else equally fun!" — Samantha Shelton, editorial assistant
- "On Christmas, my brother and I usually run three miles around a lake near my parent's house. That way we don't feel too guilty filling up later at our Aunt Christine's epic Christmas Day feast." — Lisa Haney, health editor
The classic Autuori family baked goods—fresh from the oven to the post office!
"My mom and I make these special thumbprint cookies. Now that I'm not at home anymore, she always sends me a batch and I send her some of mine too. I even made them for a holiday party I hosted this past weekend!" — Jenna Autuori-Dedic, fitness editor
- "One of my favorite holiday traditions with my good girlfriends is our Holiday White Elephant Thong Party. Instead of bringing gifts, we buy elaborate, ridiculous, hilarious undergarments to put under the Christmas tree. (They're all brand-new of course...and are usually from Victoria's Secret!) The night is always an absolute riot and I don't think gift-giving can be more entertaining!" — Christie Griffin, digital director
Karla, on left at age 4, builds a mini-me with her sisters and uncle.
- "If there's snow on the ground, my family and I would always take the opportunity to build our snow 'twin' with all of the trimmings—charcoal eyes, carrot noses and paper towel roll arms. They even get our hats when we're sweating from all the rolling, packing and lifting. Biggest snowman wins!" — Karla Walsh, editorial assistant
- "On New Year's Eve, I do the Emerald Nuts Midnight Run in Central Park. The gun goes off at midnight along with the fireworks. It's four miles and this is my third year doing it. It's fun to start the new year off with a run and it makes me feel like I'm able to stick to running and staying fit all year long." — Argy Koutsothanasis, fashion director
Now tell us: What is your favorite holiday tradition?