Written on December 12, 2011 at 12:52 pm , by FITNESS Editors
Guest post written by Kathy Kaehler, celebrity trainer and co-author of Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Life Fully Charged
The holidays are here and I am hearing about and seeing the stress in everyone. From my kids, teachers, clients and even the random lady in the check out all have a strange look in their eyes. What can one do to lower the stress and stay on track?
Here are five tricks to stay healthy during the holidays, no matter how crazy your schedule:
- Keep your workout schedule at whatever cost. You never regret working out you only regret not doing it! Make it an appointment and stick to it. If you don’t regularly write it down on your calendar, write it down during the holidays. And if possible, bring a friend along for the sweat, as having a partner will add to the pressure of making sure you do it.
- Workout type makes a difference as well. It’s obvious that everyone’s time is limited, so kick it up by lifting weights. This blasts your heart rate and burns more calories. Plus, muscle cranks up your metabolism—meaning you burn more calories even when you’re not working out.
- Watch your beverages. The holiday seems to add liquid calories that many of us won’t consider until we see the numbers add up on the scale. Have glass of water before and after each cocktail to quench your thirst and keep you feeling full and hydrated. Try using extracts of almond or peppermint in your coffee instead of flavored creams or powders to help cut down on calories as well.
- Don’t make a New Year’s resolution to lose weight and get in shape—get started now! You don’t need to run a marathon by the time the ball drops, but you can be well on your way by fitting in exercise three times a week for 30 minutes. Walking, running, kickboxing, step aerobics class, and lifting weights are all great options.
- Throughout the holiday, pair carbs with protein when possible, to help you feel full and crush cravings. Some of my favorite combos: cheese with apple slices, peanut butter on whole-wheat toast and berries with Greek yogurt.
Be in the moment as much as possible, this holiday season of 2011 comes only once, so enjoy! Have a super holiday.
If you want to check out some easy work-outs that you can do at home (like right before you hit the parties), visit kathykaehler.net.
For a fun party-inspired move from Kaehler (she’s worked with Julia Roberts, J. Lo and Kim Kardashian!), click below.
You’ll have some playing cards around to pass the time during lulls in the party action, right? Tone your hips, thighs and butt with this exercise. All you’ll need is a deck of cards!
- Take a 30 playing cards. Begin with holding the cards in your left hand and squat down, dealing one card to the floor. Return to standing position and repeat squat and deal combination until you’ve dealt 15 cards.
- Step back with right foot into a lunge and deal one card next to your left foot. Return to the standing position and repeat lunge and deal combination until you’ve dealt 15 cards.
- Squat down to pick up one card from the squat pile. Return to standing position and repeat until you’ve picked up all 15 cards.
- Step back with left foot into a lunge and pick up one card from the lunge pile. Return to standing position and repeat until you’ve picked up all 15 cards.