Part of the appeal of many reality shows is picturing yourself as a potential star or competitor...That's not just me, right? But how do everyday folks get so glam for all of the lights and cameras? On The X Factor, they do so with the help of a style team—a trio of beauty experts who have transformed some of Hollywood's biggest stars for films, music videos or red carpet events. We asked each of the members of the dream beauty/fashion team to share a few tricks for looking great anywhere from the gym to the street to a holiday party. (You can also find more pointers on the team's Facebook page and on Twitter @thestyleteamusa.) June Ambrose, the fashion guru of The X Factor, celebrity stylist and author of Effortless Style
- Go '80s. "I live in the Flashdance look for the gym—a sports bra layered beneath a sweatshirt that falls off the shoulder! Pair that with leggings and leg warmers and you are ready to go while 'under construction.'"
- Take some help. When dressing up, "a good foundation is key, no matter how fit you are. I always encourage my clients to wear shapewear. It's like a petticoat back in the day—a bare necessity."
- Look hot for the holidays. "I love playing with lace as a texture. It's romantic and festive with velvet. Sequin jackets are also great to pair with a dark matte dress, pant or shirt. You'll look slim with shine on top!"
Ken Paves, the hair guru for The X Factor, A-List hairstylist, coif makeover king for The Biggest Loser and BFF of Jessica Simpson
- Leave the product at home. "Less is more when you go to the gym. Hair product + sweat = mess! I think Nicole Richie always looks great going to and from the gym. She looks like she means business while staying cute!"
- Your go-to 'do from gym to gorgeous. "Apply a little dry shampoo near your roots and pull your hair up in a great ponytail or chignon—high or low—and add a chic headband. Done!"
- Accept your imperfections. "Jessica [Simpson] was so excited for me when I told her I was doing the X Factor, but we had to laugh because she knows I'm a tortured singer at heart. I just can't sing!"
Kristofer Buckle, the makeup artist for The X Factor, get-gorgeous pro who has worked with the likes of J. Lo, Mariah and Demi
- Go fresh-faced...or not. "I am a true makeup advocate! I think it's important to do what you can to look your best no matter where you go. For the gym, I tell my clients to try just a little concealer around their eyes, waterproof mascara, blush and tinted lip balm."
- The big trend: there are no trends (except eyes). "People are following their own personal style instead of forcing trends. What is true to you will never go out of style. Lashes and mascara are big—everyone looks great with more lashes, whether it's from a great volumizing mascara or individual lashes glued on."
- Hands off! "Makeup doesn't have to be complicated, but keep whatever you do neat. And don't touch your face...ever!"