Written on December 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm , by Karla Walsh
In our November/December issue, four game readers each tried out different popular diets (see page 132 for the full story!). A Paleo diet—which promotes eating a whole-foods diet like our early ancestors—was one of the more successful options, but our tester was bummed that she couldn’t find desserts to fit her eating plan.
Enter Make It Paleo, a book we just stumbled upon that offers Paleo twists on traditional dishes. Bloggers Bill Staley and Hayley Mason of The Food Lover’s Primal Palate share recipes like huevos rancheros, portobello turkey burgers and chocolate mocha cupcakes with their Paleo spin.
Since our tester had trouble satisfying her sweet tooth, we were instantly drawn to the dessert section. Interested in giving a caveman-style cookie a try yourself? Here’s the Make It Paleo version of the traditional holiday favorite: gingerbread!
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons palm shortening
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda’
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a sauce pan, heat molasses to a boil. Add maple syrup, palm shortening and coconut milk to sauce pan. Stir ingredients until combined, then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Pour dry ingredients into wet, and stir until batter is fully blended.
- Refrigerate dough for 20 minutes.
- Roll out dough between two sheets of parchment paper, until about 1/4 inch thick. Cut batter with cookie cutters of choice.
- Bake for 10 minutes on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Let cool, decorate as desired, and enjoy.
Now tell us: Have you or would you be willing to try a primal diet?