Who can forget Forrest Gump's box of chocolates? Or Meryl Streep's mastery of the kitchen as Julia Child in Julie and Julia? How about Violet Beauregarde transforming into a blueberry in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?
Similar iconic film food scenes etch themselves in our memories, and eating and movie watching often go hand in hand for viewers too. On the Upper West Side of Manhattan, one Whole Foods location is celebrating this partnership next Wednesday with a special in-store tasting tour. Guests will be able to stop by different stands spread throughout the grocery store's floor to sample dishes inspired by favorite summer blockbuster movies.
You can throw a similar event at your home by whipping up these recipes that will also be served at the Whole Foods tasting. Get your Netflix queue ready now!
Serves 2, Inspired by: Like Water for Chocolate
- 1 ripe fresh or frozen banana, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 6 ounces vanilla soy yogurt
- 3/4 cup vanilla soy milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon finely ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon evaporated cane juice
- 1 tablespoon chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Combine ingredients in a blender and mix at top speed for about one minute or until smooth.
- Pour in glasses and enjoy.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 310 calories, 14 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
Serves 6, Inspired by: Ocean's Eleven
- 6 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup dry mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon tamari
- Prepare a charcoal grill. When charcoal is hot, spread around the coals for an even heat source.
- Season the salmon fillets with salt on both sides. Place the fish on the grill and cover with the grill lid. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes, without turning.
- Mix honey, dry mustard, oil and tamari to make a thick glaze. If needed, thin just a bit with water to glaze consistency.
- During the last 3 to 4 minutes on the grill, brush fillets with the glaze. Turn fillets and replace cover until salmon is finished cooking.
- Transfer to plates and serve with grilled veggies, steamed spinach or a green salad.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: 510 calories, 25 g fat (3.5 g saturated fat)